Air permit forms and online submittals

On this page, find:

  • Information on available online services for submittal of certain permit actions
  • General information and instructions for various types of requests or permit needs
  • Links to application forms for non-online permit applications.
  • Links to compliance reporting forms and other air quality forms to meet air quality requirements. 

Online services

Individual permit holders must use MPCA's e-Services to electronically apply for reissuance and administrative amendments. If your application contains material claimed to be confidential and you don’t wish to use the e-Service, email to request the paper application forms. At this time online services are not available for registration, capped, or general permit holders.

Notice of termination e-Service. All permit holders (including registration, capped, and general permit holders) must use e-Services to terminate permits (paper termination submittals will not be accepted). Learn more: PDF icon Guidance: Notification of permit termination e-Service (p-gen1-18)

Choose one of the following topics for information on setting up an e-Service account, getting access to a facility in e-Services, to see help content for each service, and to determine which data you’ll need to have ready for each service.

If you have questions or comments, please send us a note.

Instructions for air permit applications

Individual permit holders must use e-Services to apply for reissuance and for administrative amendments. Paper reissuance applications will only be accepted if there is an approvable request for confidentiality. Email to request the paper application forms.

For all other permit types and actions, use the applicable application forms for your permit or amendment type. Instructions are included with each form. If you need assistance, call the MPCA at 651-296-6300 or 800-657-3864.

Submit your application on paper, CD or USB drive.

  • If on paper, submit two copies.
  • If on compact disc (CD) or USB drive, the application forms need to be in a “pdf” format and the emission calculations need to be included in an editable spreadsheet. You must still submit a paper copy of any signed form and a check for any required fees.

Submit your application to:

MPCA — Fiscal Services
520 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4194

Permits authorizing construction have a 150-day goal for issuance. Your permit may require more than 150 days if it involves:

  • PSD permitting;
  • Air dispersion modeling for criteria air pollutants or air toxics;
  • Environmental Review. Complete this pre-screening form to determine if environmental review is required [an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) or Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)]: File Environmental Review pre-screening form (p-ear1-08)
  • Air Emissions Risk Analysis (AERA);
  • An otherwise complex technical or regulatory analysis; or
  • A potentially controversial change.

The MPCA offers an expedited permit process for certain types of projects. If you need a permit issued faster than the 150-day goal and are interested in the expedited permit process, contact Kirsten Baker at 651-757-2266.

The final modeling results will need to be included in the permit application. Before you submit your application, you will need MPCA approval of your modeling protocol. See the Air Quality Dispersion Modeling webpage for forms and information on pre-application approvals. If you have questions about the air modeling forms and process, please contact Daniel Dix at 651-757-2326.

The final Air Emissions Risk Analysis (AERA) results will need to be included in the permit application. Before you submit your application, you will need MPCA approval of the AERA protocol. Refer to AERA forms and tools; if you have questions about the AERA forms and process, please contact Daniel Dix at 651-757-2326.

If your application includes confidential information, submit two versions of the application. One version with the confidential information and one public version with the confidential information redacted. If you are using the electronic submittal option, your public and confidential versions need to be on separate CDs.

You will need to determine if your facility is subject to requirements under Minn. Stat. 116.07, subd. 4a. For more information, go to Cumulative Impacts Air Permitting in South Minneapolis.

If your facility is a “mercury emission source” as defined in Minn. R. 7005.0100, subp. 23b and emits more than 3 lbs. of mercury (or 5 lbs. for Industrial boilers), you need to determine whether you must submit a mercury reduction plan under Minn. R. 7007.0502. Facilities that are not ferrous mining or processing must submit a plan by June 30, 2015. If you need to prepare and submit a Mercury Reduction Plan to comply with Minn. R. 7007.0502, please use one of these forms:

Learn more about mercury reductions and MPCA's plan to reduce mercury releases by 2025.

The following principles apply to item numbering in applications:

  • Permitted items must be numbered consecutively. New items must use the next number after the last one used in your current permit or in the most recent MPCA Emission Inventory.
  • In permits issued prior to November 1, 2015, items will be designated EU, CE, SV, GP, MR, DA, CM, FS, or TK. In permits issued after November 1, 2015 items will be designated EQUI, TREA, STRU, FUGI, or COMG.
  • Continue to use the designations used in your current permit.
  • You may not re-number items already listed in a permit or Emission Inventory.
  • A number used for an item that will be retired, removed, or replaced is no longer available to use.

If you have questions about what designation number (EUxxx, CExxx, SVxxx, etc. or EQUIxxx, TREAxxx, STRUxxx, etc.) to use for new equipment at an existing facility, contact the Air Quality Permit Writing Assistant at and provide the following:

  • Facility name and ID number (8-digit portion of the permit number);
  • What you want to know (e.g., the next available EU or EQUI number, the next available CE or TREA number, etc.); and
  • If you have submitted an unprocessed permit application and whether that application involves removing, replacing, or adding equipment.

Visit the Air Permits page for information about

  • who needs a permit;
  • determining the appropriate permit type for your facility;
  • descriptions of the types of operating permits;
  • the types of permit amendments and when they are needed; and
  • how the permit process works.

The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program has a variety of resources available to many businesses. SBEAP cannot provide an official determination of whether a permit is needed, or what type of permit to apply for. They can, however, show you how to find information needed to make those decisions. Facilities with very low emissions may qualify as one of the conditionally exempt source categories provided they comply with all general and technical standards as outlined in Minn. R. 7008.2000.

Complete and submit Form CH-16 (available below, under section 2) to obtain an official agency determination on whether you need a permit or permit amendment, or how a specific rule applies. Include all information and forms requested in the form.

Your application will be reviewed for completeness. You will receive information about the status of your application after the completeness review.

If mandatory fields are left blank in your application forms, the application will be deemed incomplete and returned.

MPCA staff use the following checklists for the completeness review. Do not submit a completeness checklist with your application or applicability request.)

1. Total Facility Permit application forms

Individual forms for the Total Facility Permit application.

A. Miscellaneous

B. General information forms

C. Compliance data forms

D. Emission calculations forms

See the MPCA webpage, Emissions Calculations.

E. Monitoring equipment forms

2. Change/modification application forms (includes New Source Review forms)

3. Registration Permit application forms

4. General Permit application forms

A. Non-metallic Mineral Processing General Permit

B. Part 70 Manufacturing General Permit

The Part 70 Manufacturing General Permit is intended for stationary sources with these process operations: abrasive blasting, boilers, brazing, casting, catalytic or thermal oxidizers, cleaning (including acid cleaning, degreasers, general cleanup with solvents), dip tanks, fabric filters, fuel storage, furnaces, injection molding, internal combustion engines (generators), lamination, mixing, molding, ovens, resin and gel coating, sanding, screen printing, soldering, space heaters, spraying and coating activities, stenciling, storage tanks, wall/panel filters, paint booths, and welding.

5. NESHAP notifications and recordkeeping forms

A. Drycleaners

B. Halogenated solvent cleaners

C. Chrome electroplating

D. Miscellaneous Major- and Area-source NESHAP notifications

6. Compliance record keeping, submittals and reporting forms

7. Miscellaneous requests and notifications

Conditionally exempt facilities and technical standards

8. Expedited permit request forms

Request expedited review of a permit application or stack test results; e-mail completed forms: Questions about the expedited review process can be directed to Andrea Walkush: 651-757-2484.

9. Mercury

10. Capped permit application forms

These forms may be used by sources electing to apply for the capped permit.

11. Part 70 Reissuance application forms

Individual permit holders must use MPCA's e-Services to apply for reissuance. Paper reissuance applications will only be accepted if there is a request for confidentiality. Email to request the paper application forms.

To apply for a reissuance, you will also need facility-specific information from MPCA's permitting database. To obtain this information, send an email to Pt70Info  with the subject line “Request for Reissuance Materials.” Include all of the following information:

  • Existing facility permit number
  • Date of expiration of the existing permit
  • Name, phone number, and email of facility contact person (such as the designated permit contact person or Responsible Official; this is not the facility's consultant)

The necessary information will be e-mailed to the facility contact person, typically within 5 business days.

12. Checklists for federal New Source Performance Standards

14. Waste combustor certificates