In most of Minnesota’s livestock-dense counties, feedlot oversight is a cooperative effort between the MPCA and county government. A county feedlot officer (CFO) performs registration, permitting, inspections, assistance, and complaint follow-up for most facilities with fewer than 1,000 animal units, on behalf of the MPCA.
The Minnesota Association of County Feedlot Officers (MACFO) represents the counties that work with the MPCA to administer Minnesota's feedlot rule.
Access online systems
CFOs use state online systems via a secure portal. New CFOs must request access to the systems (Horizon and TEMPO) using this form.
For assistance with Horizon password resets, contact the MN.IT Help Desk at 651-297-1111.
Registration and permitting
Submit feedlot registrations using the online service, even if you gather information using with a paper form. Do not register sites that meet the large concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) thresholds or those with NPDES or SDS permits.
The recommended browsers for accessing the online registration are Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, or Safari. Internet Explorer is not recommended.
Learn more on the Feedlot registration page.
Construction and interim permits
The MPCA issues construction short form or interim permits to sites that meet large CAFO thresholds. CFOs can issue these permits to other sites. Learn more on the Feedlot construction and interim permits page.
Review and approve a manure management plan (MMP) prior to any permitting action. Learn more on the Land application of manure page.
The permit application must include plans and specifications for new liquid manure storage areas. Footings are required under all columns in below-barn liquid manure storage areas (i.e., swine barn pits). The total thickness must be at least 8 inches (5 inch floor plus 3 inch footing). Learn more on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements page.
The referenced media source is missing and needs to be re-embedded.
Compliance and enforcement
The Minnesota Annualized Feedlot Runoff Model (MinnFARM) is a tool to assist with determining compliance of open feedlot runoff at small farms.
Spills, emergencies, and complaints
Call the Minnesota Duty Officer at 800-422-0798 or 651-649-5451 (available 24 hours) in the event of any spills or releases of hazardous substances.
Submit complaints to the MPCA online (preferred) or by phone at 651-296-6300 or 800-657-3864
The MPCA requests that CFOs investigate complaints about facilities/activities in their county.
- Animals and livestock (U of MN Extension)
- Manure management (U of MN Extension)
- Carcass disposal overview (MN Board of Animal Health)
- Livestock resources (MN Dept. of Ag)
- Certified manure testing laboratories (MN Dept. of Ag)
- Requirements and recommendations for Public Water Suppliers (MDH)
- Safe drinking water and well water testing laboratories
- Water appropriation — DNR General Permit
- Shoreland management programs (Minnesota DNR)
- Biosecurity procedures for visits to livestock and poultry facilities (U.S. EPA)
- Emergency action plans (Iowa State University Extension)
Online data and mapping
- Runoff risk advisory forecast tool (MN Dept. of Ag) – Helps farmers and commercial applicators determine the best time to apply manure to lessen risk of runoff.
- Minnesota Geospatial Commons (Minnesota Geospatial Information Office) – Find data for a project, services for an application, or some other resource required for a GIS-based use.
- County Well Index Online – For the storage, retrieval, and editing of water-well information.
- Interactive BaseMap (MnDOT) – Statewide maps including all public roads in Minnesota.
- Web soil survey (NRCS) – Soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.
- Source Water Protection maps (Minnesota Department of Health) – Wellhead protection maps, nitrate probability ranking maps and reports
- Minnesota impaired waters viewer – MPCA’s statewide map showing impaired waters.
- Geospatial Data Gateway (USDA) – Environmental and natural resources data
Rules and statutes
- Feedlot and manure (Minn. R. 7020)
- Statutes related to MPCA regulation of feedlots (Minn. Stat. 116)
- Statutes for MDA commercial applicator licensing
- Pollution control act — Chapter 115
- Federal rules for Animal Feeding Operations (AFOs)
- Environmental review rules (Minn. R. 4410)
- MPCA Procedural Rules (Minn. R. 7001)
- MPCA Water Quality Discharge Standards (Minn. R. 7050)
- MPCA Water Quality Discharge Standards for Feedlots (Minn. R. 7053)
- MPCA Groundwater Protection Rules (Minn. R. 7060)
- Ambient Air Quality Standards for H2S (Minn. R. 7009.0080)
- Disposal of carcasses (Minn. R. 1721.0700)
- Tennessen Warning