Skip to main content

The MPCA oversees much of the waste, recycling, and disposal activities in Minnesota. MPCA permits are required for construction, modification, and operation of solid waste management facilities where waste is treated, stored, processed, transferred, or disposed. This includes:

  • municipal solid waste and specialty landfills.
  • composting facilities.
  • recycling and material recovery facilities.
  • waste incinerators.
  • transfer stations.

Permit applications

Facilities seeking permits must provide both a completed application and supplemental information, such as an operations plan, closure plan, contingency action plan, and sampling/analysis plan. The application and other required information must be submitted together; previously submitted plans and specifications will not be considered for the permit application. Submit both a hard copy and a PDF version of the application form, checklists, and supporting documents.

Application checklists

MPCA staff have developed checklists to help you ensure that your permit application includes all the required information. Be sure to complete all checklists that apply to your facility, and include them with your application.

The MPCA strives to review permit applications within 30 days, and notify applicants if their package is complete. We may request additional details for clarification. To meets our goal of issuing permits within 150 days, we need your prompt response to all requests.

Permit extensions

Solid waste transfer facilities and source-separated organic material/compost facilities can extend their facility permits with a notification form. The permitted facility must be only a transfer station or only a compost facility; facilities that combine these functions with other solid waste management can't use this form.

Administrative changes

The change of ownership/operator application must be submitted at least 90 days before change in ownership or control. Submit notice of termination requests using the e-Services portal.

Permit by rule

Permit by rule (PBR) means that a facility or activity that meets the requirements in particular Minnesota rules is deemed to have a permit. In Minnesota, certain types of yard waste, transfer stations, demolition debris disposal, and recycling facilities are covered by permit-by-rule provisions. You must notify the MPCA before conducting activities covered by PBR.

Yard waste only sites

Compost sites that accept yard waste must follow state rules regarding site location, design, and management. Yard waste, which includes garden waste, leaves, lawn clippings, weeds, shrub and tree waste, cannot be disposed of in Minnesota landfills.

Yard waste compost facility PBR notification is now available online. Complete the local acknowledgment form before using e-Services.

Request to dispose of separated recyclable material

In Minnesota, if waste materials are separated for the purpose of recycling, those materials must be recycled. Haulers cannot throw the recyclables away, and disposal facilities may not accept them. The relevant statute allows for disposal only if a request is made to the MPCA Commissioner and no one is willing to accept the material. Requests for disposal of recycling are rare, and all options must be exhausted before a disposal exemption is allowed.

To make a request, send the form below to For questions about recycling markets or potential outlets, see the Businesses using recycling materials page.   

Concrete disposal general permit

The MPCA has issued a general permit authorizing the burial of concrete, such as blocks, slabs, and forms that have been used in architectural and engineering applications. The concrete can't be contaminated with any hazardous substances.

Waste tire transport

12911: GovDelivery: Solid Waste Matters MNPCA_427
Envelope and cursor

Stay connected

Sign up for Solid Waste Matters, email updates on solid waste rules, guidance, reporting, and more.



Other state agencies have rules concerning composting.

Solid waste compliance staff

The MPCA provides technical assistance to help solid waste facilities meet environmental requirements. Contact the compliance staff for your area for assistance. Contact Colin Boysen (507-206-2644) about asbestos issues.

NamePhoneEmailCounties served
KeyLee Earth, Dodge, Goodhue, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Le Sueur, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Winona
Vacant  Big Stone, Brown, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Jackson, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, McLeod, Meeker, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville, Rock, Swift, Watonwan, Yellow Medicine
Connor, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Itasca, Kanabec, Koochiching, Lake, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Pine, Sherburne, St. Louis, Stearns
Aaron, Beltrami, Clay, Clearwater, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Otter Tail, Pennington, Polk, Pope, Red Lake, Roseau, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wadena, Wilkin
Scott, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Isanti, Ramsey, Scott, Washington, Wright