Managing stormwater is important for the health and safety of any community. And financing is available for public entities to expand or improve stormwater infrastructure.
A guide for researching options for financing water infrastructure projects. Examine the requirements for each program and see if your entity qualifies.
Apply for the Project Priority List
The MPCA prepares the Project Priority List (PPL) to determine funding priorities for Clean Water State Revolving Fund Loans and Point Source Implementation Grants. Learn more about the PPL and timelines on the Wastewater and stormwater financial assistance page.
More information on Eligibility for stormwater financial assistance (wq-wwtp2-64)
PPL application materials
Public entities that would like to get their projects ranked on the Project Priority Lists must submit an application and scoring worksheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PPL stormwater application (wq-wwtp2-33)
- Project Priority List (PPL) Scoring Worksheet - Stormwater (wq-wwtp2-36)
- Project Priority List Scoring Worksheet guidance document (wq-wwtp2-61)
- Minnesota Rules – Wastewater and Storm Water Treatment Assistance (Chapter 7077)
- Clean Water Project Priority List (PPL) scoring summary (wq-wwtp2-43)
Clean Water Revolving Fund
The Clean Water Revolving Fund, also known as the Clean Water State Revolving Fund or simply SRF, is established under the federal Clean Water Act and state law to make loans for both point source and nonpoint source water pollution control projects. Minnesota's SRF is managed by the Minnesota Public Facilities Authority (PFA), a board of six state commissioners from the departments of Employment and Economic Development, Finance, Health, Agriculture, Transportation and the MPCA. PFA and MPCA staff jointly administer the wastewater and stormwater components of the SRF. The PFA is responsible for the financial elements of the program, while the MPCA is responsible for its environmental and technical components.
- Clean Water Revolving Fund Program process and deadlines (wq-wwtp2-59)
- Clean Water Revolving Fund Program guidance document (wq-wwtp2-63)
- Administrative checklist for stormwater treatment projects (wq-wwtp2-44) -- MPCA staff, project engineers, and municipal administrators use this checklist to track the required MPCA administrative forms for each project
The Green Project Reserve may forgive up to 25% of your loan principal (up to $1 million) if your project uses green infrastructure, water or energy efficiency, or other environmental innovations.
Stormwater project plan and plan supplement
- Stormwater project plan and plan supplement checklist (wq-wwtp2-57)
- CWRF cost and effectiveness certification form (wq-wwtp2-46)
Environmental review documents
- Advisory Council on Preservation Conditions website -- on working with Section 106 preservation conditions
- Section 106 Consultation guidance document (wq-wwtp2-50)
- Section 106 Review Exemption Checklist (wq-wwtp2-48)
- State Historic Preservation Office - template letter (wq-wwtp2-49)
- Tribal Contacts — Section 106 Reviews (p-gen5-30)
- Section 106 Reviews — Tribes by County (p-gen5-31)
- State Environmental Review Process (SERP) mailing list (wq-wwtp2-16)
- Environmental Information Worksheet (wq-wwtp2-20)
Point Source Implementation Grants
The Point Source Implementation Grants offset up to 80% of the cost (with a maximum award of $7 million) of public-owned stormwater projects necessary to meet TMDL wasteload reductions. Funds have been appropriated by the Minnesota Legislature from the Clean Water Fund via the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment.
- Point Source Implementation Grant Program process and deadlines (wq-wwtp2-60)
- Abbreviated stormwater project plan and plan supplement checklist (wq-wwtp2-58)
- Point Source Implementation Grant Program guidance document (wq-wwtp2-62)
Plans, specifications, and additional submittals
- Plans and specifications and additional submittals checklist (wq-wwtp2-55)
- Project schedule form (wq-wwtp2-56)
- PFA contract packet
- Monthly inspection report form (wq-wwtp2-53)
- One-year performance certification report (wq-wwtp2-54)
- Corrective action report checklist (wq-wwtp2-52)