The Environmental Assistance (EA) loan program is accepting applications on a continuous basis. Loans are awarded throughout the calendar year, based on the availability of program funds. This Web page provides downloadable application forms, reference documents such as Frequently Asked Questions, and links to applicable statutes and rules. Applications should be submitted electronically to Grants-Loans.email@example.com as an e-mail attachment.
Who can apply
Priority eligible applicants: Minnesota-based small to medium-sized businesses and political subdivisions of Minnesota
Eligible projects and costs
Priority eligible projects: green chemistry, pollution prevention, source reduction, recycling, and source-separated composting
Eligible loan costs: limited to the capital costs of implementing waste or pollution prevention technologies in Minnesota. Capital costs are limited to the costs of acquisition of machinery and equipment, including freight and installation, and related improvements.
The EA Loan program offers two types of loans: participatory and direct.
- Participatory loans provide for awards up to a maximum loan of $100,000 at zero percent interest. Participatory loan funds must be matched by a minimum dollar-for-dollar match by loans from a participating financial institution. In addition to the competitive interest rate charged by the participating financial institution on its matching funds, an administrative fee may be added to the participatory loan to defray costs associated with the servicing of the EA Loan by the financial institution.
- Direct loans are limited to businesses/entities and provide for awards up to a maximum loan of $50,000 at four percent interest or half the prime rate, whichever is greater. Direct loans must be matched by a minimum one dollar from the applicant for every two dollars received. Start-up businesses are not eligible for direct loans.
How to apply
Proposal requirements are outlined in the request for proposal
- EA Loans: Request for proposals funding guidance (p-f2-23)
- EA Loans: Application form (p-f2-22)
- EA Loans: Frequently asked questions (p-f2-24)
- Environmental assistance grant and loan program (115A.0716)
- Legislative declaration of policy; purposes (115A.02)
- 115D.02 Policy
- 115D.03 Definitions
- 116D.02 Declaration of state environmental policy
- Solid Waste Grant and Loan Programs (Minnesota Rules 9210.0800-9210.0855)
- Definitions of Small Business
For assistance or more information, contact Jeannie Given at 651-757-2459 or 1-800-657-3864 or Jeannie.Given@state.mn.us.