MPCA has approximately $1 million for projects that increase the efficiency or effectiveness of waste reduction, reuse, recycling, or composting programs. Reducing the amount of materials entering landfills in Greater Minnesota communities benefits the environment as well as local economies.
Applications must be received electronically by the MPCA no later than 4 p.m. CT on Wednesday, November 15, 2023.
Questions and answers
MPCA staff are prohibited from discussing this grant with applicants outside of the portal; contacting MPCA employees about the funding may disqualify you. Submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, November 8, 2023, using the subject line: “Greater Minnesota Grant Question.” Questions and answers will be posted in the SWIFT Supplier Portal.
The MPCA will be hosting an online-only informational webinar for this RFP on Wednesday, September 27 (2 p.m. CT).
- Meeting number (access code): 2482 249 2398; password: 3p9kNJTE2wf
- Join by phone or mobile device: 1-415-655-0003
Minnesota counties, cities, townships, and Tribes located outside of the Twin Cities metro area may apply. Cities must have a population of less than 45,000. Applicants asking for less than the minimum grant award ($100,000) will be deemed ineligible.
Available funds: Approximately $1 million
- Minimum award: $100,000 per project
- Maximum award: $250,000 per project
- Applicants must match at least 25% of the grant request. Matching funds may not come from other funding sources administered by the MPCA.
How to apply
The request for proposal (RFP) and application materials can only be viewed through the online SWIFT portal. The RFP is termed an “Event” within the SWIFT system.
- Go to the online SWIFT portal.
- Click on "Bidding opportunities".
- Find the event by name (MPCA-Greater Minnesota WRRRC Grants) or ID (2000014708).
- Click "View Bid Package" to see the RFP and forms. (There’s no need to log in to see the documents.)
Grant applications are only accepted through the SWIFT portal.
- Register as a bidder in the SWIFT Supplier Portal, (Bidding = "applying")
- Choose "Register for an Account" and then "Register as a Bidder".
If you are already registered in the SWIFT system as a supplier (previously known as a vendor), use your supplier ID. Visit the SWIFT Supplier Portal under “Informational Tips” and “Supplier Portal Help” for more information. For questions about applying through SWIFT, please contact the Vendor Assistance Help Desk at 651-201-8100, option 1.
Minnesota’s waste management hierarchy prioritizes waste reduction and reuse over other waste management options. To better align with the waste hierarchy, waste reduction and reuse efforts have been added as grant-eligible projects for this grant program, renamed Greater Minnesota Waste Reduction, Reuse, Recycling and Composting Grants (Greater MN WRRRC grant).