Wastewater permit forms

Application forms and instructions for applying for wastewater permits are available below. All required forms must be completed as indicated in the accompanying instructions before the application will be considered. You must note if any part of the application doesn't apply to your facility, and explain why it doesn't apply. Contact your assigned permit writer with questions about application forms:

Before you apply for a permit

Some facilities and projects, particularly those involving new or expanding discharges, may benefit from a pre-application meeting with the MPCA. If your project requires a preliminary effluent-limit determination, variance request, anti-degradation assessment and review, environmental assessment worksheet or environmental impact statement, or multiple MPCA permits, contact the agency to see if a pre-application meeting is warranted. 

For new and expanding discharges, an antidegradation review may be needed: PDF icon Antidegradation guidance (wq-wwprm2-65)

Requesting preliminary effluent limits

Preliminary effluent limit requests are submitted before a permit application, when applicants are considering one or more options for wastewater treatment type, discharge type, or discharge location.

Complete this request form for:

  • New facilities with a surface water discharge
  • Existing facilities with a surface water discharge where the design flow, outfall location, or quality of effluent is changing
  • Existing facilities with a surface water discharge where changes to treatment type would impact the quality of the effluent.

File Preliminary effluent limit review request form: Domestic/sewage (wq-wwprm7-47a)

For facilities that process wastewater primarily from domestic sanitary sewer sources and may include contributions from commercial and industrial facilities in the service area. These facilities typically include city wastewater treatment facilities and sanitary districts, but also include non-municipal facilities such as mobile home parks, schools, campgrounds, resorts, and industries that treat their own sanitary waste.

File Preliminary effluent limit review request form: Industrial wastewater (wq-wwprm7-47b)

Form for industrial process wastewater, water treatment facilities, non-contact cooling water, and gravel/stone/asphalt facilities. Industrial process wastewater is wastewater which, during the manufacturing or processing, comes into direct contact with or is left over from production of a raw material, intermediate product, finished product, byproduct or waste product. Water treatment waste types are discharges of residuals, such as solids and filter backwash, from the treatment of water for potable, non-potable, industrial, or other uses.

Wastewater permit applications: Start here

To determine the required application forms, attachments, and other information needed to complete your application, use the checklists below. Some facilities may have more than one waste type covered under a single permit. Facilities with multiple types of wastes should review all of the permit application checklists to determine what forms, attachments, or other information are required.

Mark the box next to each checklist item you include, and submit the checklists you used as the cover pages to your application package. The checklist and the transmittal form explain how to submit your application package.

Permit fees

See the last page of the transmittal form or the Permit fees page for information on the cost of your permit.

Transmittal form

All NPDES/SDS permit application packages (except permit transfers/name changes/terminations, sanitary sewer extensions, and ballast water permits) must include a transmittal form:

Multiple permitted stations

Facilities whose permitted stations exceed the space available for station locations on the transmittal form use this attachment.

Additional forms: Industrial facilities

Major NPDES/SDS industrial facilities

Major facilities must complete U.S. EPA forms in addition to MPCA forms. You may also obtain these forms on the U.S. EPA website.

Industrial process wastewater

During manufacturing or processing, industrial process wastewater comes in contact with (or is left over from production of) a raw material, intermediate product, finished product, byproduct, or waste product. The first form is for facilities with surface water discharges, and the second is for facilities that land-apply wastewater:

Dredged materials

For more information and forms, visit the Dredged Materials Management page.


Facilities with a pond treatment component should complete this form in addition to the appropriate application:

Chemical additives

Industrial by-products

For facilities that produce water treatment lime sludge, wastewater pretreatment sludge, industrial process wastewater treatment sludge, pulp and paper mill sludge, and food processing wastes (including silage and whey):

For more information and forms, visit the Land Application of Industrial Products page.

Groundwater pump outs

Non-contact cooling water

Nonmetallic mining and associated activities

For more information and forms, visit the Nonmetallic mining and associated activities page.

Vessel discharge

For more information and forms, visit the Vessel discharge page

Additional forms: domestic facilities

Major NPDES/SDS facilities

Major facilities must complete U.S. EPA forms in addition to MPCA forms. You may also obtain these forms on the U.S. EPA website.

Discharge to surface water (for major and minor facilities)

Facilities that discharge to surface water must complete this form.

Land application of wastewater

For a permit for land application of domestic wastewater, such as by spray irrigation or rapid infiltration basin:

Large subsurface sewage treatment system

For a permit for the land application of domestic wastewater using a large subsurface sewage treatment system (LSTS):


Facilities with a pond treatment component should complete this form in addition to the appropriate application.


If your facility produces biosolids (sewage sludge), complete this form in addition to the appropriate application.

Find additional information on the Biosolids page.

Chemical additives

Sanitary sewer extensions

A sanitary sewer permit is required for an extension, addition, or modification that affects any facility expansion, production increase, or process modification which results in new or increased discharges of pollutants.

PDF icon Sanitary Sewer Modifications, Additions, or Extension Permits - When are Permits Required (wq-wwprm1-15)

Individual sewer service connections may not require a permit if they are covered under another permit. Contact the compliance staff assigned to your county (PDF icon Compliance staff by county (wq-wwtp1-10)) with questions about the permit process or when permits are required.

PDF icon Sanitary Sewer Extension Permitting Process (wq-wwprm1-12)

Please note:

  • The MPCA can generally review a sanitary sewer application and issue or mail a permit in about two weeks. But in spring and summer when many permit applications are submitted, it may take four to six weeks or longer.
  • For projects in the seven county metro area, send applications to the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services for approval before submitting to the MPCA:
    MCES, 390 N. Robert St., St. Paul, MN 55101
  • Cities served by a sanitary district or another city’s wastewater treatment plant must get the application signed by the treatment authority before submitting to the MPCA.

To apply for a sanitary sewer extension permit:

Regulatory certainty

Regulatory certainty is an incentive for municipalities that will employ biological nutrient removal in their facility, and are willing to accept nitrogen limits in advance of a nitrogen standard. It affords up to 20 years of no more-restrictive phosphorous and nitrogen effluent limits, allowing greater certainty in future fiscal planning and economic development.

Learn more on the Regulatory certainty for wastewater treatment facilities page.

Homeowners' associations

Guidance for homeowner's associations on becoming permittees for an MPCA-permitted wastewater treatment facility:

Stormwater management for wastewater treatment permit holders

The NPDES/SDS permit regulates industrial stormwater discharges to surface waters and land. Stormwater from major municipal wastewater plants and many type of private wastewater facilities is considered industrial stormwater. Facilities with specific narrative activities or primary standard industrial classification (SIC) codes (available in Appendix D of the ) must obtain permit coverage for industrial stormwater activities.

Permit coverage options

Permittees may request coverage under the  — see the Industrial stormwater page for more information.

Permittees may request that industrial stormwater permit requirements be incorporated into their individual NPDES/SDS wastewater permit (where applicable). Fill out the permit application to request this option or determine if a facility qualifies for the No Exposure exclusion; see instructions for additional guidance.

Visit the Stormwater management for NPDES/SDS permits page for more compliance requirements and guidance for this option.

Water treatment plants

For permits for the disposal of residual wastewater from water treatment (to supply potable, industrial, or other water uses):

Also, complete these attachments, based on your facility's treatment type:

Example: A treatment facility with both carbon filter and lime softening systems must submit both the media filter and water softening attachments


For industrial facilities and other non-domestic wastewater sources discharging to a municipal sewer system:

Learn more about pretreatment requirements on the Pretreatment page.

Water quality standard variances

Learn more on the Water quality variances page.

Permit transfers, name changes, and permit termination requests

Application for all National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)/State Disposal System (SDS) permit terminations, transfers and permittee name changes:

Permit termination requests are now available via the MPCA’s e-Services. Wastewater discharge permit holders are able to create/log into their accounts to apply for a permit termination. During the transition period, the agency will accept either paper (via the Permit Change Request form) or the e-Services application. However, the online service will be mandatory for permit termination applications at some point in the future. The permit terminations will not be automatic. Following submittal, the agency will review the request and the assigned permit writer will send a confirmation letter.