Additional resources and information that may be helpful for County Feedlot Officers and technical staff involved in the MPCA Feedlot Program. This webpage is updated periodically as new forms and documents become available. If you have problems or see the need for corrections or changes, contact Michelle Oie, 218-316-3877, or Forrest Peterson, 320-979-1776.
A. General Information
B. Registration program
Common forms and fact sheets can be found on the Registration webpage.
! A feedlot owner must inform the MPCA/CFO prior to commencing construction of a new site or expansion of an existing site, even if a permit is not required - see notice of construction or expansion form on the webpage listed above.
- Policy - New feedlots under 10 animal units in shoreland (wq-f6-09)
- Feedlot registration form (wq-f4-12)
C. CSF (construction short form) and interim permits
Common forms and fact sheets can be found on the Construction and interim permits webpage.
! A CFO should not issue a CSF or interim permit to those sites that meet the large CAFO thresholds. Any permitting action for large CAFOs is done by MPCA staff.
- Feedlot Interim Permit template for writing permit (wq-f3-16b)
- Feedlot Construction short form permit template (wq-f3-17b)
- CSF and Interim Feedlot Permit application review checklist (wq-f3-01)
- Tools for reviewing feedlot applications and permits
- Policy on 15-day review of county permits
- Policy - Interim Permits for Feedlots Under 10/50 AU Thresholds
- MN Dept. of Ag livestock resources
D. NPDES and SDS permits
Refer to the information found on the NPDES and SDS permits webpage.
E. Environmental Review - EAW (Environmental Review Worksheet)
Refer to the information found on the Feedlot environmental review webpage.
Common forms and fact sheets are found on the Land application webpage.
! A manure management plan (MMP) should be reviewed and approved prior to any permitting action.
- Transferred ownership considerations
- Reviewing MMPs - frequently asked questions
- MMP review form/checklist - version A (A, N or X in boxes)
- MMP review form/checklist - version B (“X” in boxes by clicking)
- University of Minnesota Extension — manure management
- Brad Carlson from U of M-Extension — Manure Applications, Drainage and Water Quality
- Certified manure-testing laboratories (Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture)
- Runoff risk advisory forecast tool: Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture
III. Construction, operation, and other technical guidance
(LMSAs, MinnFARM, pastures, animal mortality, etc.)
Common forms, factsheets, and guidance can be found on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements webpage.
! Footings are required under all columns in below-barn liquid manure storage areas (i.e., swine barn pits). The total thickness must be at least 8 inches (5 inch floor plus 3 inch footing).
! Construction of a new or expansion of an existing open-air swine basin is prohibited.
- Liquid manure storage area checklist
- Liquid manure storage structure construction inspections
- Manure basin volume and seepage calculator
- Ground water quality adjacent to animal feedlots
- Minnesota Feedlot Annualized Runoff Model (University of Minnesota)
- MinnFARM spreadsheet (University of Minnesota)
- Livestock carcass disposal (wq-f6-07b)
- Minnesota Rules - Disposal of carcasses (1721.0700)
- Carcass disposal overview (Minnesota Board of Animal Health)
- Memorandum of Understanding — Disposal of livestock carcasses, concrete and rebar and debris from damaged farm structures resulting from a disaster
- Industrial Solid Waste Management Plan: Generic conditions for the acceptance of carcasses or carcass ash waste (w-sw4-64)
A. Inspections checklist
B. Preparing for inspections
- Compliance inspection flow charts
- Initiating and preparing for inspections
- Feedlot Program bio-security protocol
- Biosecurity (U.S. EPA)
- FAQ about livestock odor
- MPCA Odor Policy
- Reviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modelingReviewing air quality modeling
- Manure Management and Air Quality (University of Minnesota Extension)
- Emergency Action Plans
- Response to manure, milk, leachate spills
- Who to contact:
- CFO referral of enforcement to MPCA - policy
- Overview of feedlot enforcement process
- Delegated County Letter of Warning (LOW) Template (wq-f5-19)
- Delegated County Notice of Violation (NOV) Template
- Rule and Statute Citations for Common Feedlot Violations (wq-f5-20)
A. State statutes
- Statutes related to MPCA regulation of feedlots
- Statutes for MDA commercial applicator licensing
- Pollution control act — Chapter 115
- 7020 rule — feedlot and manure
- Amendments to rules governing feedlots - presentation
- Federal CAFO rules
- 4410 rule — Environmental review rules
- MPCA Procedural Rules 7001 Rules
- MPCA Water Quality Discharge Standards 7050 Rules
- MPCA Water Quality Discharge Standards for Feedlots 7053 Rules
- MPCA Groundwater Protection Rules 7060 Rules
- Ambient Air Quality Standards for H2S MN Rule 7009.0080
- Minnesota Rules - Disposal of carcasses (1721.0700)
- MPCA feedlot permitting/compliance field staff by county
- MPCA Feedlot Program teams
- Mapping and GIS resources
A. NRCS and or SWCD
- Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- County feedlot officers (wq-f1-13)
- NRCS service centers
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program (NRCS)
- State conservation cost-share programs (BWSR)
B. Education, training and news
- Training and events
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center Webcast Series
- University of Minnesota Extension Livestock Team
- MACFO annual conference