Skip to main content

Construction short form (CSF) permits authorize construction of animal-holding or manure-storage areas for feedlots with 300 or more animal units. Interim permits are issued to feedlots to address pollution hazards. A feedlot does not require these permits if it has applied for coverage under a NPDES or SDS permit.

Applying for a permit

The MPCA has delegated authority to issue CSF and interim permit to some counties. The process for obtaining a CSF or interim permit is primarily dependent on whether or not it is located in a delegated county.

Facilities in delegated counties

Submit this form to the delegated county feedlot officer.

Exception: If the animal holding capacity of the feedlot meets or exceeds a federal large CAFO threshold, the CSF or interim permit must be issued by the MPCA. The application must be submitted following the same procedures for non-delegated counties (see below).

Facilities in non-delegated counties

The MPCA no longer accepts paper or email applications for CSF or interim permits. This includes applications for issuance, reissuance, and all types of modifications. All CSF and interim permit applicants must use the online feedlot permit application service. Even if you plan to have a consultant prepare your permit application you will need to use the online service to set up an account in order to sign the application. Recommended browsers: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, or Safari. Use the link below to apply for a CSF or interim permit.

Apply now


Other required forms

As part of the application process you will be asked to upload the below documents to the online permit application service

If you transfer ALL manure ownership, use this form:

If you transfer NO manure ownership, use this form:

If you transfer SOME manure ownership, you must use both of the forms listed above.

Find forms for manure application recordkeeping on the Land application page.

Find construction guidance, and location and notification requirements on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements page.

What other permits may be required?

This may not be a complete list of all required permits. Contact the MPCA, your county feedlot officer and local zoning officials for information about other possible requirements, such as setbacks from residential areas, other local zoning regulations, and stormwater pollution prevention controls.