Everyone who applies manure to cropland must observe application setbacks to water features and apply at agronomic rates.
When a feedlot owner applies for a permit, they must develop and maintain a manure management plan (MMP). Development of a MMP is recommended for all those that apply manure to ensure they utilize the nutrients properly, protect water quality, and minimize their cost for commercial fertilizers.
Manure management plan tools
You must save the spreadsheet file to your computer for it to work correctly. Does not work on Mac. (v. 9.0):
Resources for small farms and those not required to have a MMP
Land application practices
- Manure management (U of MN Extension)
- Commercial animal waste technician licensing - (MN Dept. of Ag)
- Using the soil nitrate test in Minnesota (U of MN Extension)
- The Minnesota Phosphorus Index: Assessing risk of phosphorus loss from cropland (U of MN Extension)
- Certified manure testing laboratories (MN Dept. of Ag)
- Runoff risk advisory forecast (MN Dept. of Ag)