Program updates: Jan. 20, 2022
- Electronic reporting now available. Facilities with registration Option C or Option D permits and Large Inventory Type permit holders are now able to prepare and submit emission inventories electronically through the e-Services electronic reporting website.
- Accounts/passwords. If you have already created an account, please use your account number and password to access the e-Services page.
- Submitter authorization. If you have already been authorized as the submitter, you do not need to repeat the authorization process.
- New submitter authorization. If you wish to submit an emission inventory for a given facility you must first become authorized as the “submitter” for that facility by following the steps to Apply for Submitter Designation.
- Training and guidance available. Help documents are available in the Training and Guidance section at the bottom of this page. These detailed user guides include "how to" sections, definitions of terms, FAQs, and more. Webinars that walk users through the inventory preparation and submittal process are now available.
Note: If you are having trouble accessing the e-Services electronic reporting website, please check your computer/network security settings to ensure that the settings are not blocking access to the e-services site. If after checking/adjusting the security settings you are still unable to access the website, please email e-Services Support.
Instructions for using e-Services
Setting up a user account and Submitter registration. If your facility holds a registration Option C, Option D, or a Large Inventory Type permit, you will submit your Emission Inventory (EI) electronically. (Facilities holding a nonmetallic general permit will submit their inventories by hardcopy mailing as in previous years. Facilities holding a registration Option B permit may submit their inventory by mail or electronically by email: email@example.com.)
To be able to use the system, the submitter for your facility must sign up for an account through the e-Services electronic reporting website and submit a signed paper Electronic Signature Submittal Agreement to the MPCA. According to Minn. Rules, the Submitter is the only person that can submit the inventory, thus a signed paper agreement is needed to allow for electronic signature and submittal. Please allow up to 2-3 weeks to process this agreement. Once the Submittal Agreement has been processed an email will be sent to the Submitter to notify him/her that he/she is now able to enter and submit data on the e-Services electronic reporting website.
Others assisting the Submitter with the preparation of the inventory (Preparers) can create an account at any time through the e-Services electronic reporting website by following the steps under "Create User Account" below. Preparers will be able to assist with preparing the emission inventory submittal; however, they will not have access to the facility information until access is granted by the Submitter.
Create user account
(Preparers and Submitter)
- Go to e-Services website.
- Select "Create an Account" and complete the information requested. You will receive an email with your account number. Click the link in the email to activate your account.
- Go to e-Services website.
- Select "Log In" and enter the "Account Number" and "Password" that you obtained during the "Create User Account" procedure.
- Select "Air Emission Inventory Submittal-CEDR" from the menu of options.
- Select "Create Submittal Agreement."
- Enter the 8-digit facility ID (permit number) for the facility for which you are the Submitter. This ID appears on your previous year's air emission inventory.
- Select "Create Submittal Agreement."
- Print out the Agreement, complete, sign, and mail to the MPCA address listed.
- You will be contacted by email when you are authorized as the Submitter for the facility listed in the agreement and to grant access to others to prepare the inventory.
Note: If the Submitter needs to be changed at your facility simply have the person who will be the Submitter complete steps 1-8 above to "Apply for Submitter Designation."
Grant preparer role
If you have previously registered as the Submitter for a facility(ies) you can still add/remove Preparers for these facility(ies) by following these instructions.
- Go to MPCA e-Services website.
- Select “Log In” and enter the “Account Number” and “Password.”
- Select “Air Emission Inventory Submittal-CEDR.”
- Select: “Grant Preparer Role.”
- Select the “Facility ID” number that you want.
- Enter the “Preparer’s Account Number” and the "Preparer's Email" for those people that will assist with preparation of the emission inventory submittal
User guides and video tutorials that highlight features of the electronic reporting system and demonstrate the submittal process for permit holders.
- Submitting an inventory and assigning roles — An 11-minute video on how to submit an inventory, how to confirm that the submittal was successful, and how to manage inventory preparers.
- Air emission inventory: Quick guide to electronic reporting — Overview of the steps to submit emissions inventory data
Option C registration permittees
Detailed help document for air emissions inventory - Registration Option C Permit — User guide for facilities with registration Option C permits on using the MPCA e-Services reporting site to report annual air emissions.
Option C permit holders - Preparing an inventory — An 18-minute video on electronic reporting for Registration Option C permit holders.
Option D registration permittees
Detailed help document for air emissions inventory - Registration Option D Permit — User guide for facilities with registration Option D permits on using the MPCA e-Services reporting site to report annual air emissions.
Option D permit holders - Preparing an inventory — A 21-minute video on electronic reporting for Registration Option D permit holders.
Option D hot mix plants - Preparing an inventory — A 22-minute video for hot mix plants on electronic reporting for Registration Option D permit holders.
Large Inventory Type permit holders
Air emissions inventory: Quick guide to electronic reporting for large EI types — Overview of the steps to submit emissions inventory data
Detailed help document for air emissions inventory for large EI types — User guide for facilities with large inventory type permits on using the MPCA e-Services reporting site to report annual air emissions.
Large inventory type permit holders - Updating facility inventory — A 19-minute video on updating information about your facility structure, and adding new emission units, processes, control equipment, and stacks, and how to make associations between equipment.
Large inventory type permit holders - Updating throughput/emissions — A 19-minute video on updating throughput data and report emissions
PM emission factor updates from EPA for natural gas, process gas and LPG
Particulate matter emission factors for natural gas, process gas, and LPG have been revised by Roy Huntley (U.S. EPA). The reason for this adjustment is that the EPA believes that the current AP-42 factors for condensable PM emissions are too high: Revised PM emissions from natural gas combustion in 2002 NEI (U.S. EPA)
The electronic emission inventory reporting website (e-Services) will perform calculations using the revised EPA emission factors from Roy Huntley as the default emission factors. The unrevised emission factors will still be available in AP-42/WebFIRE. Please select the link below based on your facility’s air permit type to reference the updated emission factors.
- Option C and Option D registration permittees revised natural gas, process gas, and LPG emission factors
- Large Inventory Type permit holders revised natural gas, process gas, and LPG emission factors
Methane (CH4) and Nitrous Oxide (N2O) emission factor updates from the U.S. EPA
Methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) emission factors for coal, coke, municipal solid waste (MSW), tires and biomass fuels (except wood and wood residuals) have been revised by the EPA 40 CFR part 98. The EPA revised the published factors when it discovered minor errors resulting from conversion of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) factors (kg/TJ) to kg/mmBtu without an adjustment to reflect the different heat content basis of these factors. The IPCC factors are denominated in lower heating value (LHV) as opposed to the higher heating value (HHV) used for the factors; see Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emission Factors.
The electronic emission inventory reporting website (e-Services) will perform calculations using the revised EPA emission factors.