Is my project eligible for funding?
Wastewater and stormwater projects must meet some requirements to be eligible for funding from the Clean Water Revolving Fund or Point Source Implementation Grants.
Stormwater project requirements
- Addresses water quality needs (ponds for water quality may also include associated flood control benefits)
- Consists of permanent stormwater treatment structures
- Based on accepted engineering practices that result in water quality benefits
- Applicant must be a local government such as a city, county, township, sanitary district, or watershed district
Wastewater project requirements
- Involves building new or improving, rehabilitating, expanding, or replacing existing wastewater collection or treatment facilities
Prioritizing projects for funding
To prepare the Project Priority List (PPL), which determines funding priorities for Clean Water State Revolving Fund Loans and Point Source Implementation Grants, the MPCA scores and ranks stormwater and wastewater projects following criteria contained in Minn. R. 7077.0117 to 7077.0119. Projects are prioritized based on several factors, including:
- The type of water the project discharges to and whether it's in need of specific protections or pollutant reductions
- If the project will help correct certain kinds of water quality problems
- If the project will reduce the volume of stormwater being discharged
Submissions are now being accepted to place public wastewater, stormwater, and drinking water infrastructure improvement projects on the 2021 Project Priority Lists (PPL) and Intended Use Plans (IUP) for the Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Funds (SRFs). Projects must be listed on the appropriate PPL as the first step to be eligible for the SRFs or Clean Water Legacy Fund programs. System owners must request that their projects be placed on the appropriate 2021 IUP if they expect to be ready for construction and are seeking SRF financing in state fiscal year 2021 (July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021).
|Deadlines||2021 PPL projects (7/1/20 - 6/30/21)||2022 PPL projects (7/1/21 - 6/30/22)|
|Stormwater or wastewater project plans due to the MPCA (to ensure priority review)||March 6, 2020||March 5, 2021|
|Request for placement on the CW PPL due (MPCA)||March 6, 2020||March 5, 2021|
|Request for placement on the DW PPL due (MDH)||May 5, 2020||May 7, 2021|
|Request for placement on Intended Use Plan due to the PFA||June 5, 2020||June 4, 2021|
|MPCA's preliminary approval of wastewater facilities and stormwater project plans for Intended Use Plan||June 30, 2020||June 30, 2021|
2020 PPL and IUP
The state's Public Facilities Authority (PFA) prepares an annual Intended Use Plan based on the MPCA's Project Priority List. It lists the projects and activities eligible for Clean Water Revolving Fund (CWRF) dollars during the state fiscal year.
Projects and activities the PFA intends to fund from the Clean Water Revolving Fund in state fiscal year (FY) 2020 (July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2020).
- 2020 Intended Use Plan (Minnesota PFA)
- 2020 Project Priority List (MPCA)
- Bill Dunn (651-757-2324, cell: 651-402-1639)