Is my project eligible for funding?
Wastewater and stormwater projects must meet some requirements to be eligible for funding from the Clean Water Revolving Fund or Point Source Implementation Grants.
Stormwater project requirements
- Addresses water quality needs (ponds for water quality may also include associated flood control benefits)
- Consists of permanent stormwater treatment structures
- Based on accepted engineering practices that result in water quality benefits
- Applicant must be a local government such as a city, county, township, sanitary district, or watershed district
Learn more about Eligibility for stormwater financial assistance (wq-wwtp2-64)
Wastewater project requirements
- Involves building new or improving, rehabilitating, expanding, or replaceing existing wastewater collection or treatment facilities
Prioritizing projects for funding
To prepare the Project Priority List (PPL), which determines funding priorities for Clean Water State Revolving Fund Loans and Point Source Implementation Grants, the MPCA scores and ranks stormwater and wastewater projects following criteria contained in Minn. R. 7077.0117 to 7077.0119. Projects are prioritized based on several factors, including:
- The type of water the project discharges to and whether it's in need of specific protections or pollutant reductions
- If the project will help correct certain kinds of water quality problems
- If the project will reduce the volume of stormwater being discharged
2019 Project Priority List
In January 2018, the MPCA, Department of Health, and Public Facilities Authority notified all eligible municipal entities that there is an opportunity to submit Clean Water or drinking water projects to their respective PPL. In December 2018, all eligible municipal entities will be notified about submitting projects for the 2020 PPL.
|Deadlines||2019 PPL projects (7/1/18 - 6/30/19)||2020 PPL projects (7/1/19 - 6/30/20)|
|Stormwater or wastewater project plans due to the MPCA (to ensure priority review||March 2, 2018||March 1, 2019|
|Request for placement on PPL due to the MPCA||March 2, 2018||March 1, 2019|
|Request for placement on Intended Use Plan due to the MPCA||June 2, 2018||June 7, 2019|
|MPCA's preliminary approval of stormwater project plans for Intended Use Plan||June 30, 2018||June 30, 2019|
Find the materials for applying to be on the PPL by clicking on either the wastewater or stormwater link at right.
Intended Use Plan
The state's Public Facilities Authority (PFA) prepares an annual Intended Use Plan based on the MPCA's Project Priority List. It lists the projects and activities eligible for Clean Water Revolving Fund (CWRF) dollars during the state fiscal year.
- 2018 Intended Use Plan (Minnesota PFA) — Projects and activities the PFA intends to fund from the CWRF in FY 2018 (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)
- Bill Dunn (651-757-2324, cell: 651-402-1639)