In Minnesota, operators and inspectors of waste disposal facilities must be certified. The MPCA administers the certification program and provides workshops and conferences to help you stay up-to-date on your certification.
Questions? Contact Diane Belanger at 651-757-2072.
These courses provide you with the tools to obtain your certification as required by Minn. R. ch. 7048. Training covers basic math, science, public health issues, rules & regulations, waste screening, asbestos, stormwater requirements, landfill design, facility operations and closure/post closure.
Type II certification training
This two-day course (with exam) is for professionals pursuing careers in municipal solid waste management. (Nine contact hours)
The exam is required to be a certified Type II facility operator. Certification is good for three years
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or equivalent experience
- Complete at least 15 contact hours of training within three years prior to your application
- Have at least six months of work experience as a Type II facility operator
Type III certification training
This two-day course (with exam) is for professionals pursuing careers in demolition waste/industrial waste landfill management. (Nine contact hours)
The exam is required to be a certified Type III facility operator. Certification is good for three years.
Requirements before taking an examination:
- Complete at least four contact hours of training within three years prior to the date of application
Solid waste refresher training
This one-day refresher helps Type II or Type III operators toward their certification renewal hours. Half of the day is spent in the classroom followed by a facility tour in the afternoon.
Renew your certification
Use this form to renew your certification.
In order to renew your certification, you will need to complete:
- Type II - 18 contact hours over three years
- Type III - Six contact hours over three years
Information about solid waste certification, or certification renewal requirements can be directed to the solid waste training coordinator: Zoe McManama, 651-757-2842.