Urban vs. Rural Selection Tool
This tool was developed to aid in determining whether a project/facility location is considered to be urban or rural per EPA’s guidance. The tool allows the identification and selection of 2011 USGS land use land cover data within a specified distance from the source under review. The tool calculates the percentage of developed land use land cover within a selected distance and outputs a graphical map and numerical output spreadsheet. Greater than 50% developed area is considered urban (see EPA Appendix W 7.2.3.c).
- UrbanRuralTool.zip (aq2-78) — This zip file provides the necessary ArcMap files and ArcToolbox to run the Urban vs. Rural Selection tool. For questions on installation and how to run the tool, please see the instructions below.
- Urban vs Rural Selection Tool — installation instructions (aq2-77)
GIS Nearby Source Tool
This tool was developed by MPCA air modeling staff to aid in NAAQS/MAAQS analyses where nearby sources should be considered. The tool allows the identification and selection of sources within a specified distance from the source under review. The tool uses the GIS software, ArcMap, to map all nearby sources within a selected distance and screens for those sources that should be considered for inclusion in a modeling analysis. The screening procedure uses the square root mean D method of inclusion (see MPCA Modeling Practice Manual).
- Nearby Tool Zip File (aq2-66) - This zip file provides the necessary ArcMap files and ArcToolbox to run the Nearby Source tool. For questions on installation and how to run the tool, please see the instructions below.
- Nearby Source Tool — installation instructions (aq2-60)
MN Lookup Table
This tool was developed by MPCA air modeling staff to aid in the NAAQS analysis where nearby sources should be considered. The MN Lookup Table is a Microsoft Excel workbook that uses AERSCREEN results that were developed from parameters obtained in Minnesota’s 2008 air emissions inventory. The Lookup Table uses the Significant Impact Level (SIL) method of inclusion.
- MN Lookup Table – Can only be used as a Microsoft Excel file (*.xlsx) in order to function properly.
For EPA-developed screening models, including AERSCREEN and SCREEN3 (which is no longer supported by EPA), please see EPA’s SCRAM webpage for Screening Models.