Federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) or State Disposal System (SDS) permits are construction and operation permits issued to the larger feedlots in Minnesota.
Manure management plan forms
- Spreadsheet - MPCA Manure Management Planner (wq-f6-12) Note: You must save this file to your computer for it to work correctly.
- MPCA Manure Management Planner (paper version) (wq-f6-12a)
- Manure management plan requirements for transferred ownership
- 2016-2021 General NPDES permit
- 2015-2025 Feedlot General SDS Permit (wq-f3-52) Note: The NPDES permit will contain all conditions of the SDS permit as well.
What other permits may be required?
This may not be a complete list of all required permits. Contact the MPCA, your county feedlot officer and local zoning officials for information about other possible requirements, such as setbacks from residential areas, other local zoning regulations, and stormwater pollution prevention controls.
- Construction stormwater: All feedlot construction activities that disturb one or more acres must comply with construction stormwater regulations, including the preparation of a stormwater pollution prevention plan. When feedlot construction activity will disturb 5 or more acres, the owner must apply for a construction stormwater permit, unless the feedlot has obtained coverage under a feedlot NPDES permit.
- A water use (appropriation) permit from the DNR is required for all users withdrawing more than 10,000 gallons of water per day or 1 million gallons per year.
- The Dept. of Agriculture provides a web page with links to individual county feedlot ordinances.
Other forms and information
- Completing an NPDES/SDS feedlot permit application (wq-f3-06)
- Modification of NPDES and SDS feedlot permits (wq-f3-49)
- Minor modification of an NPDES or SDS Permit (wq-f8-51)
- Emergency Winter Application Areas
- Request for Feedlot Permit Termination Form (wq-f3-44)
- Facility ownership or name change for permitted feedlots (wq-f3-27)
- Multiple site determination for NPDES and SDS feedlot permits (wq-f6-63)
- NPDES and SDS permits for feedlots (wq-f3-48): Factsheet explaining the differences between NPDES and SDS permits
- Annual report form: Animal feedlot or manure storage annual report (wq-f3-22b) — Due March 1 each year
- Water Line Inspection Log Sheet
- Weekly Storage and Containment Structure Inspections Log Sheet
- Weekly Stormwater Management Structure Inspections Log Sheet
- 2019 Feedlot Inspection Records calendar (wq-f5-21)
Find forms for manure application recordkeeping on the Land application page
Find construction guidance and location and notification requirements on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements page.
Permit public notices
Prior to issuing coverage under a NPDES or SDS permit, a 30-day public comment period is provided. NPDES and SDS permitting actions open for public comment are available at the link provided below.
Public notices explain:
- How to submit written comment
- The MPCA office where the application is being processed
- How to request a public information meeting or a contested case hearing
- How to submit a petition to the MPCA Commissioner
MPCA public notices and draft permits are listed during the public comment period. (Note: There may or may not be feedlot-related public notices available in the current listing of public notices. Feedlot listings will include the term “Feedlot”