NPDES and SDS permits

Large dairy feedlotFederal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and State Disposal System (SDS) permits are issued to the larger feedlots in Minnesota for construction and operation.

Application forms

Microsoft Office document icon Emergency response plan (wq-f3-12)

Permit applications. The MPCA is in the process of developing an online permit application system. The permit application form has been removed, anticipating that the online system becomes available in November 2021.

If activities at a feedlot require NPDES or SDS permit issuance or modification prior to the online permit application being available, an application form must be requested from regional MPCA feedlot staff via email.

For those sites seeking re-issuance of NPDES permit coverage under the 2021-2026 general NPDES permit, or switching to SDS permit coverage, please refer to the 2021 NPDES general permit web page.

Manure management plan forms

General permit

What other permits may be required?

This may not be a complete list of all required permits. Contact the MPCA, your county feedlot officer and local zoning officials for information about other possible requirements, such as setbacks from residential areas, other local zoning regulations, and stormwater pollution prevention controls.

Other forms and information

Find forms for manure application recordkeeping on the Land application page

Find construction guidance and location and notification requirements on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements page.

Permit public notices

Prior to issuing coverage under a NPDES or SDS permit, a 30-day public comment period is provided. NPDES and SDS permitting actions open for public comment are available at the link provided below.

Public notices explain:

  • How to submit written comment
  • The MPCA office where the application is being processed
  • How to request a public information meeting or a contested case hearing
  • How to submit a petition to the MPCA Commissioner

MPCA public notices and draft permits are listed during the public comment period. (Note: There may or may not be feedlot-related public notices available in the current listing of public notices. Feedlot listings will include the term “Feedlot”