Skip to main content

MPCA is proposing changes to State Disposal System (SDS) and National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general feedlot permits. The permits are issued to large feedlots for operation and construction. The current federal NPDES general permit lasts five years and expires Jan. 31, 2026. The current SDS general permit lasts 10 years and expires May 31, 2025.

Proposed changes are intended to better protect Minnesota waters from nitrate contamination and require feedlot operations to incorporate additional best management practice into their operations. They specifically address manure application to fields.

Watch this video to learn more about the proposed permit changes. 

7723: Public engagement on draft permits - new
Speech bubbles

Read permits, submit comments

Proposals for new general permits have been drafted and are now available for your review and comment through August 9, 2024.

Attend public meetings in July about the proposed changes.

Federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and State Disposal System (SDS) permits are issued to the larger feedlots in Minnesota for construction and operation.

Applying for a permit

The MPCA no longer accepts paper or email applications for NPDES or SDS permits. This includes applications for issuance, reissuance, and all types of modifications. All NPDES and SDS permit applicants must use the online feedlot permit application service. You can also make changes to your facility name, ownership information, and contact person through MPCA Online Services.

Even if you plan to have a consultant prepare your permit application you will need to use the online service to set up an account in order to sign the application.

Apply for a permit

Guidance materials

Online training

  • Getting started with online feedlot permitting
    Owners and consultants need to interact with the online service to submit a feedlot permit application. Lean about setting up an account and gaining access to the facility that you own or are working with.
  • Applying for a NPDES or SDS permit online 
    Are you having trouble understanding how to complete the permit application online? This interactive course covers the entire process, screen by screen, and step by step. Text, images, and videos are used to help guide you through the process. You can navigate the to the specific screen you are having trouble with or complete the entire course from start to finish.
  • Completing an application prepared by a consultant  
    Consultants cannot sign permit applications on behalf of feedlot owners. This guidance will highlight the steps you, as the feedlot owner, need to take to sign and submit a consultant-prepared permit application.

Other required forms

As part of the application process you will be asked to upload the below documents to the online permit application service.

If you transfer ALL manure ownership, use this form:

If you transfer NO manure ownership, use this form:

If you transfer SOME manure ownership, you must use both of the forms listed above.

Other information

Find forms for manure application recordkeeping on the Land application page

Find construction guidance and location and notification requirements on the Construction, operation, and technical requirements page.

Permit public notices

Prior to issuing coverage under a NPDES or SDS permit, a 30-day public comment period is provided. NPDES and SDS permitting actions open for public comment are available at the link provided below.

Public notices explain:

  • How to submit written comment
  • The MPCA office where the application is being processed
  • How to request a public information meeting or a contested case hearing
  • How to submit a petition to the MPCA Commissioner

MPCA public notices and draft permits are listed during the public comment period. (Note: There may or may not be feedlot-related public notices available in the current listing of public notices. Feedlot listings will include the term “Feedlot”.)

What other permits may be required?

This may not be a complete list of all required permits. Contact the MPCA, your county feedlot officer and local zoning officials for information about other possible requirements, such as setbacks from residential areas, other local zoning regulations, and stormwater pollution prevention controls.