The NPDES general permit for feedlots is effective Feb. 1, 2021, through Jan. 31, 2026.
- 2021-2026 General NPDES Permit MNG440000 (wq-f3-58)
- Notable changes to the feedlot NPDES general permit for 2021-2026 (wq-f3-55a)
Applications for the 2021 general NPDES permit, or applications to switch to SDS permit coverage, will only be accepted via a new online feedlot permit application system. This system is not expected to be available until spring of 2021.
Use the preliminary application form to authorize feedlots with current NPDES permit coverage to continue operation until an application can be made through the online permit system.
- Animal feedlot general permit: Preliminary application form (wq-f3-57)
Note: Facility changes cannot be authorized via the preliminary application
To avoid a lapse in permit coverage, the preliminary application must be submitted prior to January 31, 2021.
Updates on the availability of the online permit application system will be posted to this website.
If activities at a feedlot require permit issuance or modification prior to the online permit application service being available, an application form must be requested from regional MPCA feedlot staff via email.
The public comment period for the draft permit for 2021-26 closed July 23, 2020.
- Responses to comments on the 2021-2026 General Animal Feedlot Permit (wq-f3-55d)
- Draft Permit - MNG440000
- 2021-2026 feedlot NPDES draft general permit comments (wq-f3-55c) (45mb)
- MPCA revising large feedlot NPDES general permit for 2021-2026 (wq-f3-55)
- Slide presentation: Overview feedlot NPDES general permit 2021-2026 (wq-f3-56)
- State Register: Notice of intent to issue (June 8, 2020)
Following the Minnesota Department of Health’s guidance regarding COVID-19, in lieu of in-person public meetings, Webex meetings were held March 31 and April 2, 2020.
Recording of the March 31 informational meeting on the NPDES general permit. (31 min.)