Through this training event, MPCA staff provides guidance to consultants on a number of topics to improve environmental investigations and corrective actions at contaminated sites.
2021 event was virtual
January 26 and 27 (8:30 a.m. to noon each day)
The Tuesday session (Jan. 26) focused on Remediation division items such as EQuIS, Vapor BMPs and the Groundwater Contamination Atlas project. The Wednesday session (Jan. 27) was program-specific updates.
EQuIS. A discussion of EDD submittals, program statistics, common issues, FAQs and moving forward. (Dave Moore)
Vapor intrusion best management practices. An overview of the new VI BMP guidance documents and specifics of vapor investigations for Brownfield projects. (Melissa Meeuwsen, Joseph Reinders, Stacy Van Patten)
Groundwater Contamination Atlas project. An overview of the project and next stage discussion. (Wesley Knox, Emma Tschann, Matthias Wolf)
Petroleum remediation Report Evaluation and Performance Oversight Team (REPORT). (Start at 12:22) An overview of form updates to improve consistency. (Amy Jendro)
PRP guidance/forms updates. Overview of minor guidance modifications and updates. (Stephen Frye)
Emergency response at remediation sites. MPCA Emergency Response team involvement when environmental emergency conditions occur at remediation sites. (Mark Toso)
Institutional controls at remediation sites. Our decision-making paradigm, how you can access the data, our new templates, and future guidance. (Shanna Schmitt)
e-Services voluntary remediation or brownfield programs enrollment. How to navigate the online application and tips to make the process as efficient as possible. (Dave Knight)
These pre-recorded presentations were included in a Q&A session.
- PFAS update – State agencies and local units of government working collaboratively to develop a safe and sustainable drinking water plan to address PFAS contamination in the East Metro. (Andri Dahlmeier, Liz Kaufenberg, 16:01)
- Closed landfill Program – Working to protect human health and the environment in the vicinity of closed MSW landfills. (Dave Oakes, 16:15)
- Site assessment (SA) prioritization – Overview of site referrals and how they are prioritized for investigation. (Doree Husnik, 10:29)
Special projects – Petroleum (PRP) and Superfund (SA) closed sites
- PRP Gasoline Additive Project – Assessing petroleum sites closed prior to 2000 where groundwater may be impacted from a leaded gasoline release. (Brittney Schuller, 15:59)
- PRP Vapor Project (part 1) – Assessing non-petroleum Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) contaminated sites closed prior to update of the vapor intrusion policy in 2014. (Kathryn Serier, 2:57)
- PRP Vapor Project (part 2) – Findings from the site investigations. (Rose Tusa, 12:05)
- SA Vapor and groundwater (TCE) project – Assessing non-petroleum Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) contaminated sites closed prior to update of the vapor intrusion policy in 2014. Assessing potable wells near sites closed with Trichloroethylene (TCE) in groundwater prior to the update of Minnesota Department of Health drinking water standards in 2014. (Chris Goscinak, 8:25)