Operators of waste disposal facilities must be certified by the MPCA. The agency provides workshops and conferences to help you obtain and stay up-to-date on your certification.
MPCA training covers public health issues, rules and regulations, waste screening, asbestos, stormwater requirements, landfill design, facility operations, and closure/post closure.
You can request that the MPCA approve training provided by other organizations to count towards MPCA operator certification. Submit the request at least 60 days before the training event.
Find all of our upcoming trainings on the events calendar. Use the event type and category filters to quickly find relevant trainings organized by topic.
Type II training and exam
This two-day course with exam is for professionals pursuing careers in municipal solid waste management (15 contact hours). You must pass the exam to be certified to operate Type II facilities, which include sanitary, modified sanitary, and sludge landfills. Certification is good for three years.
- a high school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent experience
- at least 15 contact hours of training in the three years prior to your application
- at least six months of work experience as a Type II facility operator
Type III training and exam
This two-day course with exam is for professionals pursuing careers in demolition waste and industrial waste management (Nine contact hours). You must pass the exam to be certified to operate Type III facilities, which include demolition waste and non-hazardous industrial waste landfills. Certification is good for three years.
Certification prerequisite: at least four contact hours of training in the three years prior to your application
Solid waste refresher training
This one-day refresher counts as 6 contact hours toward certification renewal for Type II or Type III operators. Half the training is in the classroom, followed by a facility tour.
Keeping your certification
Accredited training options
In addition to MPCA’s training events, the solid waste training coordinator has approved these events and trainings by external providers for contact hours of continuing education. Submit proof of attendance with operator renewal application. Contact the training coordinator with questions.
- Ongoing/online: Manager of landfill operations (Solid Waste Association of North America) - 30 hours
- Ongoing: Minnesota Stormwater Seminar and Research Spotlight Series (University of Minnesota Water Resources Center) - 2 hours. Participants must attend in real time (in person or virtually) and request CEU/PDH certificate when prompted. Sessions are held monthly.
To renew your certification, you'll need:
- Type II - (18) contact hours over three years
- Type III - (6) contact hours over three years