Find and download data from surface water monitoring sites in Minnesota. Where available, you can also view the conditions of lakes, rivers or streams that have been assessed.
- Lake and stream information — Water quality and biological data, assessments, and impairments
The assessments are required under the federal Clean Water Act. They are used to determine whether water bodies meet their intended uses, such as being suitable for fishing or swimming. Learn more about assessments: Impaired Waters and Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL)/303(d) studies
- Lake and stream water clarity data (citizen gathered)
- Watershed pollutant load monitoring data
- Impaired waters viewer — Impaired waters are those that don't meet one or more water quality standard. The viewer shows impaired waters around the state.
- Altered watercourses
- Groundwater monitoring data search — Results from the MPCA's ambient groundwater and landfill monitoring programs.
Data collection and visualization
- Water monitoring: Standard operating procedures and Surface water data — Organizations who want to collect and submit water quality data should review MPCA protocols and standards
- Spatial data — Create your own maps using MPCA water information
Data about facilities, sites, and activities that impact water
- Industrial stormwater permit search
- Construction stormwater permit search
- Stormwater: Special and impaired waters search — Preparing a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) or applying for a Construction Stormwater permit for a construction project?
- Wastewater data browser
- What’s in My Neighborhood — Contains stormwater permit data (map and text search)
Water data from other agencies
- Key water information catalogue (Met Council) — Collection of water data tools
- Lake Finder (DNR) — Data for more than 4,500 lakes and rivers, including lake surveys, depth maps, water quality data, and fish consumption advice
- Stream Gaging (DNR) — Flow rates for stream and rivers
Listed below are words or terms users will come across when viewing water quality data or assessments.