Skip to main content
Clean clothes on hangers at dry cleaners.

Air emissions

The compliance calendar summarizes federal standards and state regulations for dry cleaners that use perchloroethylene (perc) and provides a place to keep required records. Dry cleaners can also use the calendar to complete a self-audit:

Dry cleaners that use perc must follow federal standards that reduce the amount of perc released to the air:

They must also submit a status form within 30 days of opening, stating that they are in compliance with the federal standards:

Hazardous waste

You need a hazardous waste identification number if your business produces any amount of hazardous waste.

Businesses generating most types of hazardous waste are required to report annually, pay a fee, and obtain a license for the subsequent year. Facilities in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington County are licensed and inspected by their county. Facilities in greater Minnesota are licensed and inspected by the MPCA. If you produce only small amounts of hazardous waste, you probably qualify as a very small quality generator:

Perc-related waste, such as cooked powder residues, still-bottom residues, spent cartridges, button/lint trap waste, and separator water must be managed as hazardous waste. Use the hazardous waste code F002. See the Hazardous waste identification and management page for information on managing specific types of hazardous waste.


Annual hazardous waste training is required for large quantity generators (2,200+ pounds a month) and small quantity generators (220 to 2,200 pounds a month), and recommended for very small quantity generators (less than 220 pounds a month). Free training is available from the MPCA and some metro-area counties:

Hazardous waste due dates

Requirement Due date
Hazardous waste generators fee Mailed to license holders in first quarter, due date on invoice
License application Due August 15 for Greater Minnesota businesses;
Twin Cities metro businesses: contact your county

Recycling and trash

Cleaners in the Twin Cities metro area are required to recycle if they have more than four cubic yards of trash per week.


Do not send dry cleaning wastewater to a septic system or storm sewer. You have three options for disposing of wastewater:

  • Manage it as hazardous waste and have it hauled off site for disposal.
  • Get permission to discharge it to your local wastewater treatment plant; contact them to learn what is required. In the Twin Cities metro area, this is usually Metropolitan Council Environmental Services.
  • Manage wastewater using an evaporator that meets the definition of a wastewater treatment unit specified in Minnesota rules. (New evaporators connected to city sewer systems most likely meet the definition.) The evaporator must:
    • Be commercially manufactured or designed, and certified by a professional engineer registered in Minnesota.
    • Treat wastewater to below 0.7 milligrams/liter of perc before evaporation. Keep proof of this on site, either from the manufacturer or lab test results.
    • Be inspected, along with all associated parts, regularly by the owner. Document your inspections in the compliance calendar; the calendar also has a detailed description of evaporator requirements:

Local regulation

Check with your county, city, and township to see if they have any additional requirements.

Upcoming perc ban

Minnesota has banned the use of perc starting in 2026. Dry cleaning businesses can use our cost share funding for projects that eliminate the use of perchloroethylene (perc). The Minnesota Legislature set aside $355,000 to help businesses transition; grantees can receive up to $20,000. The funding will be available until it's all been awarded or until April 1, 2024, whichever is first.

426: Dry cleaner cost share funding
Dollar sign in lightbulb

Eliminate use of perc

This cost-share funding can help your dry-cleaning business switch away from perchloroethylene (perc), which will be banned in Minnesota as a dry-cleaning solvent starting in 2026.

Additional resources