Skip to main content
An industrial boiler room with three large boilers, many pipes and valves.

Air emissions


Most business using boilers or furnaces to provide process heat for manufacturing will qualify for an Air emission registration permit. A business that only has emissions from boilers, internal combustion engines, and VOC sources may qualify for a Registration Option C. If there are multiple air emission activities, the Registration Option D may be the best fit. Use this emissions calculator to see if your boiler is a small source of air emissions or may require air permitting:

How to comply with state permits


You must comply with federal air standards if your business has a boiler that burns coal, oil, or biomass (the standard doesn't apply to gas-fired boilers). Use the EPA's compliance resources to see if the NESHAP for boilers affects your business.

Air regulation due dates

Requirement Due date
Emission inventory fee for previous reporting year Mailed to permit holders between February and April, due within 30 days
Emission inventory report April 1
Emission summary review period Begins in August/September

Hazardous waste

You need a hazardous waste identification number if your business produces any amount of hazardous waste.

Businesses generating most types of hazardous waste are required to report annually, pay a fee, and obtain a license for the subsequent year. Facilities in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington County are licensed and inspected by their county. Facilities in greater Minnesota are licensed and inspected by the MPCA. If you produce only small amounts of hazardous waste, you probably qualify as a very small quality generator:

See the Hazardous waste identification and management page for information on managing specific types of hazardous waste, such as oil filters and oil-spill cleanup materials. Oily wastes generally don't require a hazardous waste license, but check with your county to be sure. If you want to burn used or waste oil, you must follow specific requirements:

Hazardous waste due dates

Requirement Due date
Hazardous waste generators fee Mailed to license holders in first quarter, due date on invoice
License application Due August 15 for Greater Minnesota businesses;
Twin Cities metro businesses, contact your county

Storage tanks

Report leaks and spills to the Minnesota Duty Officer at 651-649-5451 or 800-422-0798. Most aboveground storage tanks larger than 500 gallons or underground tanks larger than 110 gallons have to be registered with the MPCA. See the storage tank pages for more information.

Beyond compliance

  • Develop and implement a plan for routine inspections and maintenance.
  • Evaluate and tune your boiler system annually. Tune the burner, clean out the combustion chamber, make sure water treatment is correct, check all fittings and accessories, and reset steam pressure. This can result in 2 to 5 percent energy savings. More guidance on tune-ups for boilers that use coal, oil, or biomass is in the EPA tune-up information guide.
  • Insulate steam and condensate return lines.
  • If your boiler is used primarily for comfort heat, shut it down in the summer.
  • More ideas and assistance from MnTAP.