This TMDL addresses 39 stream and river reaches in the Lower Mississippi and Cedar River basins that are impaired due to fecal Coliform levels that violate Minnesota water quality standards. The initial report, including 20 reaches, was approved by the EPA in November 2002. Additional reaches were added and a revised TMDL report was approved by the EPA on April 5, 2006. A wide range of efforts to reduce fecal Coliform bacteria in the rivers and streams of the basin is underway.
Map and location
The Lower Mississippi and Cedar River basins are located in the southeastern portion of Minnesota.
- Watersheds included in the Cedar River basin: Winnebago, Shell Rock, Cedar, and Upper Wapsipinicon.
- Watersheds included in the Lower Mississippi River basin: Upper Iowa, Mississippi River - Reno, Root, Zumbro, Cannon, Mississippi River - Lake Pepin, Mississippi River - Winona, Mississippi River - La Crescent.
TMDL report and implementation plan
- Fact sheet on the Revised Regional TMDL Evaluation of Fecal Coliform Bacteria Impairments in the Lower Mississippi River Basin (wq-iw9-02a)
- Revised Lower Mississippi River Basin Regional Fecal Coliform TMDL report (wq-iw9-02e) (EPA approval 4/5/2006)
- Revised Lower Mississippi River Basin Regional Fecal Coliform TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw9-02g)
- Revised Lower Mississippi River Basin Regional Fecal Coliform TMDL Implementation Plan (wq-iw9-02c) (September 2007)
- Expanded fecal coliform bacteria wasteload allocation for the Lansing Township WWTP (wq-iw9-02n) (October 2014)
- Justin Watkins (507-206-2621)