This program works to prevent emissions of asbestos-containing materials during both renovation and demolition projects. The program includes specific regulations for inspecting for asbestos, what asbestos needs to removed and when, and emission control procedures used to control asbestos fibers during the actual removal. Regulations also cover transporting, packaging and disposing of asbestos.
In addition, the program regulates the management of hazardous and other problem wastes (prohibited materials) identified in Minn. R. 7035.0805 in renovation and demolition activities.
Primary customers of this program are any owner, operator or demolition contractor of a building that may contain asbestos or prohibited materials. The most frequent users are large/small businesses, municipalities, non-profit organizations and other local units of government.
Another key customer segment are facilities that manage the disposal of asbestos-containing materials.
Priorities of the this program include ensuring compliance with asbestos removal and asbestos inspections, notifications, asbestos removal and disposal regulations, and preventing instances where asbestos and prohibited wastes may be inadvertently overlooked or disturbed during renovations and demolitions.
Be advised, your demolition/renovation project may be regulated by the Minnesota Asbestos Abatement Act (Minn. Stat. 326.70-326.81) and Asbestos Abatement standards (Minn. Rules, parts 4620.3000-4620.3724). For more information, please contact the Minnesota Department of Health's Asbestos and Lead Unit.
For owners of buildings containing asbestos and contractors who perform removals.
- Solid Waste Disposal
- Pre-Demolition and Renovation Minn. R. 7035.0805
- Asbestos-related considerations in residential demolition
- Asbestos Fact Sheet
- Asbestos Guidance on Excavation Projects
- Farmsteads & Solid Waste (w-sw1-18)
- Guidance for Handling Asbestos-Containing Material at Active Waste Disposal Sites
- Guidance on the Removal, Transport and Disposal of Category I Asbestos-containing Materials, such as Floor Coverings and Asphalt Roofing Materials
- Guidance for the Removal, Transport and Disposal of Category II Asbestos-containing Materials, such as Transite Shingles and Siding
- Landfills accepting asbestos (w-sw6-00)
- NESHAP Guidance for Emergency Demolitions
- Notification of asbestos-related work (w-sw4-06)
- Pre-renovation/demolition environmental checklist (w-sw4-20)
- Demolition/Renovation notification (w-sw4-21)