The MPCA is seeking comment on our draft plan for investing Minnesota’s VW settlement funds. The settlement includes a specific list of activities states can fund with the settlement money. Within those parameters, states can develop programs and fund projects that make the most sense for them.
The MPCA is committed to developing a plan that benefits all Minnesotans and reflects the needs and desires of people across the state. The agency has solicited input statewide for more than a year (see summaries of what we heard here). This draft plan reflects that input along with data, technical analyses, and the experience of MPCA staff.
The draft plan
- Volkswagen Settlement Beneficiary Mitigation Plan - Executive Summary
- Volkswagen Settlement Beneficiary Mitigation Draft Plan
States are required to submit a plan to the national trustee before they are eligible to receive funds from the state’s allocation. The plan must describe the state’s overall goals for the funds, the types of projects the state plans to fund, expected emissions reductions from those projects, and how the projects will benefit communities disproportionately impacted by air pollution.
Minnesota’s draft plan is structured in three phases, so the MPCA can seek additional input and make changes as needed along the way. This draft plan addresses Phase 1 (2018-2019) only. We plan to invest 25% of the overall funds ($11.75 million) during this period. The MPCA will manage the VW settlement funds through five grant programs. We will target the grant programs with the following percentages of available funds:
- School bus replacements: 20%
- Heavy-duty on-road vehicles: 35%
- Heavy-duty off-road vehicles: 15%
- Heavy-duty electric vehicles: 15%
- Electric vehicle charging stations: 15%
The MPCA received extensive public input throughout 2017 to help develop this plan. We are seeking input on the draft to ensure Minnesotans feel it reflects their priorities. We are accepting comments until March 19, 2018. If you have questions or wish to comment on the draft plan, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MPCA will hold one stakeholder meeting in St. Paul. We will share information on the draft plan and have an opportunity to provide input. The meeting is open to the public. Meeting details:
- St. Paul: February 28, 1pm-2:30pm (MPCA offices, 520 Lafayette Rd. N.)
In addition, the MPCA will hold public meetings around the state to share the draft plan and seek feedback from Minnesotans. Join us at one of the following meetings:
- Minneapolis: March 8, 6-7:30 pm (Urban Research and Outreach-Engagement Center, 2001 Plymouth Ave. N.)
- Duluth: March 13, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 525 Lake Ave. S., Suite 400, Duluth)
- Mankato: March 15, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 12 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 2165, Mankato)
For the following meetings, MPCA staff will be presenting and taking input remotely:
*Note new dates.
- Brainerd: March 12, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 7678 College Road, Suite 105, Baxter)
- Detroit Lakes: March 12, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 714 Lake Ave., Suite 220, Detroit Lakes)
- Rochester: March 12, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 18 Wood Lake Dr SE, Rochester)
- Marshall: March 12, 6-7:30 pm (MPCA office, 504 Fairgrounds Rd, Suite 200, Marshall)
We encourage you to attend one of the meetings above, but if you can’t make a meeting in person, you can join us for a webinar on March 12 from 6 pm-7:30 pm. Please note that we will not be able to provide technical assistance if you choose to join remotely.
To access online webinar and teleconference:
Click here to join the webinar
Meeting number (access code): 595 013 486 #
To join by phone, call this toll-free number: 844-302-0362 (US)
(Note: When joining by phone, no ID or password is needed. However, you may need to enter “#” if prompted for ID/password)
For those participating remotely PLEASE be sure to mute your phone line as soon as the webinar begins to help keep things running as smoothly as possible! We’ll have time for questions and input throughout the meeting.
If you are joining by phone or just wish to review our presentation, download it here: Presentation: Draft state plan - VW public meetings (aq-mvp2-30x)