Public, private, and nonprofit owners of heavy-duty diesel on-road trucks and transit buses, airport ground support equipment, forklifts, port cargo handling equipment, and freight switchers in Minnesota are encouraged to apply to this competitive grant opportunity to partially fund new, all-electric replacements.
The grant aims to replace older diesel vehicles and equipment with all-electric models with zero emissions, improving air quality and public health.
- Application deadline: August 31, 2022 (4:30 p.m. CDT)
- Total funds: Approximately $6.5 million
- Awards: The maximum award per electric vehicle or electric equipment replacement is 75% of eligible project costs, including the cost for an accompanying charging station.
- Match requirement: Grantees will be required to provide all remaining funds for the purchase of the new vehicle or equipment.
See the request for proposals (RFP) for full details on eligibility: who may apply, grant match amounts, and other information that will help applicants submit a proposal.
The RFP and application materials can only be viewed through the online SWIFT portal. The RFP is termed an “Event” within the SWIFT system.
- Go to the online SWIFT portal.
- Click on "Bidding opportunities"
- Find the event name MPCA-Heavy Duty Electric Vehicle and Equipment or ID (2000013105).
- Click "View Bid Package" to see the RFP and forms. (There’s no need to log in to see the documents.)
You must register in the SWIFT portal to submit an application. Grant applications are only accepted through the SWIFT portal. Applicants interested in applying will need to register as a bidder in the system by clicking on the SWIFT Supplier Portal, then "Register for an Account and Register as a Bidder".
Note: If an applicant is already registered in the SWIFT system as a Supplier (previously known as a vendor), they do not need to register as a bidder. They will need their Supplier ID.
More information can be found in the SWIFT Supplier Portal under "Informational Tips" and "Supplier Portal Help." For questions about applying through SWIFT, please contact the Vendor Assistance Help Desk at 651-201-8100, option 1.
An overview of this grant and the RFP process will take place on Wednesday, June 29 (1 p.m. CDT).
Meeting number: 2486 186 1377; password: R3x8xpMfKa2
Join by phone: 1-415-655-0003; access code: 2486 186 1377
Ask a question
MPCA personnel are not authorized to discuss the posted RFP with applicants, and contact regarding this RFP with any MPCA personnel may result in disqualification.
All questions regarding the RFP must be emailed: email@example.com, subject line “HD Electric Grant 2022 Question”. Staff will gather questions and post answers in the SWIFT Supplier Portal on an at-least weekly basis. All questions must be received by 4:30 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, August 16, 2022.
This new grant round will help eliminate cost barriers by providing crucial financial assistance to organizations looking to purchase electric vehicles that meet their needs. The purpose of this grant program is to reduce emissions from older diesel vehicles in Minnesota by replacing them with new all-electric models.