The Vermillion River watershed is located in the southeast part of the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area. Encompassing 335 square miles, the headwaters are located in southeastern Scott County, with the majority of the watershed located within in Dakota County. The part of the watershed that is located within Dakota and Scott Counties is governed by the Vermillion River Watershed Joint Powers Organization (VRWJPO), which is a key sponsor for this project. Local SWCDs, local units of government, state agencies, and other groups are part of this project.
The Vermillion River Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy Project will address the 27 impaired water bodies in the watershed, as well as develop protection strategies for those water bodies that are currently not listed as impaired. The impairments range from biological impairments (fish and macroinvertebrates), turbidity, low dissolved oxygen, E. coli and Fecal Coliform, and excess nutrients.
Map and location
The Vermillion River Watershed is located in southern portion of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area in the Lower Mississippi River Basin. The majority of the watershed is located in Scott and Dakota counties, with a small area in Goodhue County.
WRAPS and TMDL report
- Vermillion River Watershed: Final WRAPS report (wq-ws4-14a) (MPCA approval 10/5/2015)
- Vermillion River Watershed: Final TMDL (wq-iw9-16e) (EPA approval 12/21/2015)
- Vermillion River Watershed TMDL: EPA Approval Letter (wq-iw9-16g)
- Vermillion River Watershed Stressor Identification Report
- Vermillion River Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Stream cooling demonstrations (VRWJPO)
- Vermillion River Watershed - Watershed monitoring
- Vermillion River Corridor Handbook
Meetings and events
For upcoming meetings about the project, and other events hosted by the Vermillion River Watershed JPO: Vermillion River Watershed Joint Powers Organization: Events calendar
- Vermillion River Watershed Joint Powers Organization
- Dakota County Environmental Protection - Water quality
- Scott County
- Dakota County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Scott Soil and Water Conservation District
TMDL Project Manager
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
520 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155