Local governments with SSTS programs submit information to the MPCA each year by February 1 on SSTS permitting and compliance trends for the previous calendar year. The information helps the agency with long-range planning efforts.
Summary of 2020 data
- 203 local governmental units (LGUs) submitted data for the report, including 86 counties, 79 cities, 34 townships, and 4 other special purpose units of government with permitting authority.
- Respondents reported a total of 618,102 sub-surface treatment systems across Minnesota, which treat an estimated 42.3 billion gallons of wastewater each year.
- LGUs issued 12,368 construction permits for 5,185 new systems and 7,183 replacement systems in 2020.
- Of the permits issued, 97% were for residential dwellings and 3% were for other establishments.
- LGUs reported 15,764 compliance inspections of existing systems.
- LGUs estimated that 81% (505,300) of SSTS in Minnesota comply with applicable rules and function properly.
- SSTS certification and licensing data is included in the 2020 SSTS Annual Report.
- 2019 SSTS Annual Report (wq-wwists1-61)
- 2018 SSTS Annual Report (wq-wwists1-60)
- 2017 SSTS Annual Report (wq-wwists1-58)
- Katie Dowlding (651-757-2301)