Watershed at a Glance
The Lower Big Sioux River watershed covers 2,188,399 acres, mostly located in eastern South Dakota. A small portion lies in western parts of Lincoln, Pipestone, and Rock counties in southwestern Minnesota. There are several small to medium-sized tributaries.
|Hydrologic Unit Code:||10170203|
|Intensive monitoring start year:||2011|
|Major lakes||Major rivers and streams|
Split Rock Lake
Beaver Creek, Pipestone Creek, Split Rock Creek, Flandreau Creek
Land use in this watershed is primarily agriculture, with most land in row crops, although pasture and animal agriculture is also prevalent. Pipestone, Jasper and Beaver Creek are communities located in this watershed. There are no natural lakes in this watershed.
What's being done
In 2011, the Lower Big Sioux River watershed, along with three adjacent major watersheds located in the Missouri River Basin, will be starting the MPCA’s major watershed restoration and protection project process. Data collection, assessment, and implementation will occur over 10 years. Each project begins with intensive monitoring, where biological data is collected along with physical and chemical data of streams and lakes in selected watersheds. There are 138 proposed stream sites to be sampled for biological data, 23 stream sites for water quality and one site for fish tissue.
Monitoring and assessment reports and data
- Missouri River Basin Watersheds Monitoring and Assessment Summary
- Missouri River Basin (Upper Big Sioux, Lower Big Sioux, Little Sioux, and Rock River Watersheds) Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Lower Big Sioux River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report
- Summary - Missouri River Basin watersheds Stressor Identification Report (wq-ws5-10170202c)
- Missouri River Basin Hydrology, Connectivity, and Geomorphology Assessment Report
Water quality model supporting documents
- Missouri River Basin TMDL Report (wq-iw7-44e) (EPA approval 2/15/2018)
- Appendices for Missouri River Basin TMDL report (wq-iw7-44h)
- Missouri River Basin TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw7-44g)
- Missouri River Basin WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-40a) (MPCA approval 1/18/2018)
- Summary - Missouri River Basin Watersheds-Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy Report (wq-ws4-40b)