Watershed at a Glance
The Little Sioux River watershed covers 1,812,406 acres in southwestern Minnesota. Its small prairie streams flow through the southern portions of Nobles and Jackson counties and into Iowa.
|Hydrologic Unit Code:||10230003|
|Intensive monitoring start year:||2011|
|Major lakes||Major rivers and streams|
Bella, Clear, Indian, Iowa, Little Spirit, Loon, Ocheda, Okabena, Round
Little Sioux, Little Sioux West Fork, Okabena Creek
Land use in this watershed is primarily agriculture, with most land in row crop production.
What's being done
Starting in 2011, the Little Sioux River watershed, along with three adjacent major watersheds located in the Missouri River Basin, will be starting the MPCA’s major watershed restoration and protection project process. Data collection, assessment, and implementation will occur over 10 years. Each project begins with intensive monitoring, where biological data is collected along with physical and chemical data of streams and lakes in selected watersheds. There are 138 proposed stream sites to be sampled for biological data, 23 stream sites for water quality, and one site for fish tissue.
Monitoring and assessment reports and data
- Missouri River Basin Watersheds Monitoring and Assessment Summary
- Missouri River Basin (Upper Big Sioux, Lower Big Sioux, Little Sioux, and Rock River Watersheds) Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Little Sioux River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report
- Summary - Missouri River Basin watersheds Stressor Identification Report (wq-ws5-10170202c)
- Missouri River Basin Hydrology, Connectivity, and Geomorphology Assessment Report
Water quality model supporting documents
- Missouri River Basin TMDL Report (wq-iw7-44e) (EPA approval 2/15/2018)
- Appendices for Missouri River Basin TMDL report (wq-iw7-44h)
- Missouri River Basin TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw7-44g)
- Missouri River Basin WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-40a) (MPCA approval 1/18/2018)
- Summary - Missouri River Basin Watersheds-Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy (wq-ws4-40b)