For earlier versions of the state SSTS rules, please visit Minnesota Revisor rule archives.
Current SSTS rules
Effective Sept. 6, 2016.
- Chapter 7080: Individual Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (flows up to 5,000 gallons per day [gpd])
- Chapter 7081: Midsized Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (flows from 5,001 to 10,000 gpd)
- Chapter 7082: Administrative Requirements of Local SSTS Programs
- Chapter 7083: Certification/Licensing, Product Registration, Advisory Committee
Minnesota statutes governing SSTS rules
- Local ordinance requirements and alternative local standards
- MPCA rule requirements
- Inspections, complying criteria, disclosure at property transfer
- The $25 septic tank fee
- Licensing requirements for ISTS professionals
- MPCA licensing enforcement
Additional rules and regulations
- Underground Waters MN Rule Chapter 7060
- Shoreland Act and Flood Plain Management MN Rule Chapter 6120
- Wild, Scenic, and Recreational Rivers MN Rule Chapter 6105
- State Plumbing Code MN Rule Chapter 4714
- State Well Code MN Rule Chapter 4725
- Federal requirements for land application 40 CFR part 503
Local government units (LGUs) can have requirements that are stricter than the minimum state requirements. Always check with your LGU first for SSTS requirements.