Green Chemistry & Engineering Internship
A 2018 project and intern have been selected.
Through these grants, both the company and an intern gain experience in advancing the practice of green chemistry and engineering within the host company, applied to one or more of the company’s products or components in any way that supports improved product safety.
Grant projects may include work like this:
- Life cycle comparison of candidate materials
- Support safety and/or performance testing of alternative materials or designs
- Work with design, manufacturing, and cross-functional teams to assess the supply and cost of new materials
- Catalog supplier safety data sheets and certifications as part of green/sustainable purchasing initiatives
- Update inventories of chemical regulations and support audits of internal and supply chain compliance
- Learn and perform hazard and alternatives assessment processes
- Support sales and marketing of reformulated products
Grant funding is typically about $10,000 for one grant per year. The use and amount of matching resources must be described in the application; however, no specific amount or percentage of matching funds is required.
MPCA staff work with partners across North America to recruit students or recent graduates from scientific/technical programs at universities and colleges, creating a pool of candidates from which the company awarded a grant may select for interviews and an eventual offer for their position. Companies may also recruit independently. The intern works with a mentor within the company for 10-12 weeks during the summer—or beyond that, if the company and intern agree.
The use and amount of matching resources must be described in the application; however, no specific amount or percentage of matching funds is required.