Online enrollment service now available

Parties who would like to enroll in the Brownfield or Voluntary Remediation Programs must now do so using the MPCA's e-Service.

Get started. If you do not already have an account to use any of the MPCA's e-Services: PDF icon Getting started with MPCA e-Services

Brownfields are abandoned, idled, or underused industrial and commercial properties where financing expansion or redevelopment is complicated by actual or suspected environmental contamination.

By investigating and cleaning up brownfield sites, many of which are blighted properties in inner-city areas, redevelopment can take place without fear of risk to human health or potential environmental liabilities. This benefits Minnesota communities by reducing urban sprawl, enhancing the livability of neighborhoods, and creating new businesses, jobs, and an improved tax base.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's (MPCA) Brownfield Program was created to help enable the sale and redevelopment of brownfield sites.

Brownfield Program services

The MPCA Brownfield Program is a fee-for-service program that provides technical assistance and issuance of various liability assurance letters to promote the investigation, cleanup, and redevelopment of property that is contaminated with petroleum and/or hazardous substances. Customers include property owners, prospective purchasers, developers, development agencies, lending institutions, non-profit organizations, and local units of government.

To apply for help

To enroll in the Brownfield or Voluntary Remediation Program, use the MPCA's e-Service.

Submit a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I ESA) with the application, unless desired services are limited to a VIC Lender Letter or certain petroleum-related services, such as expedited review of a petroleum tank release site, Tank Removal Verification Letter, and/or General Liability Letter. The Phase I ESA must be prepared in accordance with the All Appropriate Inquiry (AAI) standard as per 40 C.F.R. Part 312 and must be no older than one year. In some cases, with MPCA staff concurrence, an older Phase I ESA can be submitted with a Phase I ESA update.

Cleanup guidance for brownfield redevelopment projects

About brownfield sites

Search for contaminated sites

To search for contaminated sites that are or have been addressed by MPCA's cleanup programs, go to the Contaminated sites webpage.

Request specific information from brownfield project files

To request information about a specific brownfield project, you will need the MPCA project number, name, or street address. You can find this information by looking in “What's in My Neighborhood” and/or the other data searches above. Keep in mind that it's common for a property to be enrolled in more than one MPCA program, and that a property may have been enrolled in the Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup Program and/or the Petroleum Brownfields Program multiple times under different project numbers and names.

For non-petroleum contaminated sites included in the Superfund and Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup:

For petroleum-contaminated sites:

Response actions and institutional controls