Skip to main content

Brownfields are abandoned, idled, or underused industrial and commercial properties where financing or redevelopment is complicated by actual or suspected environmental contamination. Investigating and cleaning up blighted or other brownfield properties allows for redevelopment without risking human health or potential environmental liabilities. Redeveloping brownfield properties reduces urban sprawl, enhances the livability of neighborhoods, creates new businesses and jobs, and adds to the tax base.

The MPCA Brownfield Program is a fee-for-service program that provides technical assistance and issues liability-assurance letters to promote the investigation, cleanup, and redevelopment of property that is contaminated with petroleum and hazardous substances. Program customers include property owners, prospective purchasers, developers, development agencies, lending institutions, nonprofit organizations, and local units of government.

12841: Brownfield program storymap
Minnesota shaped icon with location pin

Brownfield success stories

Brownfields are located in cities and towns all across Minnesota. Check out these success stories of site redevelopment work around the state.

    Apply to the program

    To enroll in the Brownfield Program, use MPCA's e-Services.

    Include a one-page cover letter with your application, summarizing your request. Include all known MPCA ID numbers associated with the site, and tell us if the request is grant related. Reference the cover letter as a "Phase I update."

    Phase I environmental site assessment

    You must submit a Phase I environmental site assessment with the application if you are requesting more than just a voluntary investigation and cleanup lender letter or certain basic petroleum-related services, such as:

    • expedited review of a petroleum tank release site.
    • tank removal verification letter.
    • general liability letter.

    The Phase I assessment must be prepared in accordance with the "all appropriate inquiries" standard and must be no older than one year. MPCA staff may allow older assessments with updates, in some cases.

    Subsequent submittals at active brownfield or voluntary Superfund projects

    If you are submitting reports, information, or requests for an active brownfield or voluntary Superfund project, do NOT submit via MPCA’s e-Services. Send the document(s) directly to the assigned MPCA project manager(s) via email. You must include the current MPCA billing ID and or BF/SF ID in the subject line of the email. Failure to submit documents to the correct staff or include a site ID in the subject line may result in delays.

    Find brownfield sites

    Search for contaminated properties by location, type of contamination, or project/business name:

    To request information about a specific brownfield project, complete an information request form. Any questions about information requests may be directed to the MPCA Records Management staff (651-757-2728, 844-828-0942).

    Response actions