With funding from the 2011 Legislature, the MPCA contracted with the University of Minnesota to research how sulfate affects wild rice. Research projects — including a field survey, laboratory experiments, and mesocosm (pot) experiments — began in 2012 and were completed by December 2013.
The research was based on a scientific protocol developed in 2010-2011 by the MPCA in consultation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Minnesota Tribes, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and with input from interested and affected stakeholders. The protocol identifies key information needed to enhance understanding of the effects of sulfate on wild rice.
The agency is using the study to determine if the wild rice sulfate standard needs to revised.
Quality assurance project plans (QAPPs)
- Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Hydroponic Experiment on the Response of Wild Rice to Sulfate - Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Mesocosm Studies - Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Hydroponic Experiment on Response of Wild Rice to Sulfide QAPP
- Minnesota Wild Rice Sulfate Standard 2013 Field Survey QAPP
- Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Sediment Incubation Experiment QAPP
- Status of Wild Rice Rulemaking and Research Implementation
- Wild Rice Standards Study Final Protocol
- Wild Rice Sulfate 2011 Preliminary Field Survey (not funded through study)
Scientific peer review
The MPCA contracted with Eastern Research Group, Inc. (ERG) to convene and facilitate the August 2014 scientific peer review of the MPCA’s draft analysis of the research. The peer review is documented in this final report from ERG, released in September 2014: Summary Report of the Meeting to Peer Review MPCA’s Draft Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study
- Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study: Scientific Peer Review - Meeting Announcement
- Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study: Scientific Peer Review Meeting - Logistical Fact Sheet
- Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study: Scientific Peer Review Meeting - Agenda
- ERG Peer Reviewer Search and Selection Process
- Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study - Draft for Scientific Peer Review
- Charge for Peer Review of “Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study”
- Analysis of the Wild Rice Sulfate Standard Study: Advisory committee feedback on draft analysis
- Sulfide Data Associated with the Hydroponic Wild Rice Seedling Tests
- Wild Rice Sulfate Standards Study: Scientific peer review and MPCA analysis - Purpose and process