Only a very small portion of the 1.35-million-acre Upper Big Sioux River watershed is located in Lincoln County in western Minnesota. The vast majority is located in eastern South Dakota. Land use in this watershed is primarily agriculture, with row crops and livestock grazing.
What's being done
Monitoring and assessment
Monitoring work in the Upper Big Sioux River watershed began in 2011.
- Upper Big Sioux River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report
- Summary - Missouri River Basin watersheds Stressor Identification Report (wq-ws5-10170202c)
- Missouri River Basin Watersheds Monitoring and Assessment Summary
- Missouri River Basin (Upper Big Sioux, Lower Big Sioux, Little Sioux, and Rock River Watersheds) Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Missouri River Basin Hydrology, Connectivity, and Geomorphology Assessment Report
Water quality model supporting documents
Strategy development for restoration and protection
- Missouri River Basin TMDL Report (wq-iw7-44e) (EPA approval 2/15/2018)
- Appendices for Missouri River Basin TMDL report (wq-iw7-44h)
- Missouri River Basin TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw7-44g)
- Missouri River Basin WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-40a) (MPCA approval 1/18/2018)
- Summary - Missouri River Basin WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-40b)