The Rock River watershed covers 1,075,032 acres in Rock, Nobles, Pipestone and Murray counties in southwestern Minnesota. It is the largest of the four watersheds in Minnesota that are part of the Missouri River Basin, extending south into Iowa.
Land use in this watershed is primarily agriculture, with most land in row crop production. Pastureland is also prevalent throughout the watershed. There are no natural lakes in this watershed. Some of the larger communities in the watershed are Luverne, Adrian, Edgerton and Wilmont.
What's being done
Monitoring and assessment
- Missouri River Basin Watersheds Monitoring and Assessment Summary
- Missouri River Basin (Upper Big Sioux, Lower Big Sioux, Little Sioux, and Rock River Watersheds) Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Rock River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report
- Missouri River Basin Hydrology, Connectivity, and Geomorphology Assessment Report
- Summary — Rock River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report (wq-ws5-10170204c)
Water quality model supporting documents
Strategy development for restoration and protection
- Missouri River Basin TMDL report (wq-iw7-44e) (EPA approval 2/15/2018)
- Appendices for Missouri River Basin TMDL report (wq-iw7-44h)
- Missouri River Basin TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw7-44g)
- Missouri River Basin WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-40a) (MPCA approval 1/18/2018)
- Summary - Missouri River Basin Watersheds-Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy (wq-ws4-40b)
Rock River Bacteria and Turbidity TMDL
A TMDL report was completed for a portion of the Rock River watershed in 2008. Since then, the area has received grant and loan dollars to target the bacteria and turbidity impairments in the watershed.
- Fact sheet on the Rock River Watershed Fecal Coliform and Turbidity TMDL (wq-iw7-11a)
- Rock River Watershed Fecal Coliform and Turbidity TMDL report (wq-iw7-11e) (EPA approval 4/23/2008)
- Rock River Watershed Fecal Coliform and Turbidity TMDL report - Appendix (wq-iw7-11f)
- Rock River Watershed Fecal Coliform and Turbidity TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw7-11g)
- Rock River Watershed Fecal Coliform and Turbidity TMDL implementation plan (wq-iw7-11c)