Predominate land uses/land covers are row crops (84%), residential/commercial development (5%), wetlands (4.5%), open water (3.4%), and grass/pasture/hay (2%). Agricultural land use in the watershed accounts for approximately 86% of the overall watershed acres. Development pressure is moderate in most areas, with occasional farms, timberland, and lakeshore being parceled out for recreation or lake/country homes.
The main resource concerns in the watershed are wind/water soil erosion, wetland management, surface water quality, flood damage reduction, and wildlife habitat. Many of the resource concerns relate directly to agricultural activities in the region that have resulted in fragmentation and increased sediment and pollutant loadings to surface waters. The watershed experiences periodic seasonal flooding due to above-normal amounts of precipitation or snow melt.
What's being done
Monitoring and assessment
- Mustinka River Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Mustinka River Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report Summary
- Mustinka River Watershed Stressor Identification Report
Strategy development for restoration and protection
- Mustinka River Watershed WRAPS Report (wq-ws4-20a) (MPCA approval 9/26/2016)
- Mustinka River Watershed TMDL Study (wq-iw5-08e) (EPA approval 3/15/2017)
- Mustinka River Watershed TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw5-08g)