Wastewater permits

Forms and fact sheets

Stabilization ponds

If your facility has a pond treatment component, complete the Microsoft Office document icon Municipal and Industrial Pond Attachment (wq-wwprm7-11) in addition to the appropriate application.

Sanitary sewer extensions

PDF icon Sanitary Sewer Modifications, Additions, or Extension Permits - When are Permits Required

Individual sewer service connections may not require a permit if they are covered under another permit. Please note:

  • The average turnaround time for the MPCA to review a sanitary sewer application and issue/mail a sanitary sewer permit (following the fast-track process) is about two weeks. However, during spring and summer when large numbers of permit applications are received, the turnaround time may be up to four to six weeks or longer.
  • When submitting projects located in the seven county metropolitan area, the application form must be sent to the the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) for review at: MCES, 390 N. Robert St., St. Paul, MN 55101, and approved prior to submittal to the MPCA.
  • For any other city served by a sanitary district or another city’s wastewater treatment plant, the application form must also be signed by the that treatment authority prior to submittal to the MPCA.

Sanitary sewer extension forms

Monitoring requirements

Municipal wastewater reuse


Sector worksheets

Variances from effluent discharge restrictions

The MPCA may grant variances to the water quality standards in Minnesota Rules Chapter 7050 and the effluent discharge restrictions in Chapter 7053. The MPCA must list the variances granted under these two rules by October 1 of each year. The Water Quality Variances webpage identifies the variances in National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System/State Disposal System (NPDES/SDS) permits issued by the MPCA as of October 1 of each year. The table includes the facility granted the variance, the rule from which the variance was granted, the water affected, the year granted, and any restrictions that apply in lieu of the rule requirements.

General permits

Potable water treatment plants

In addition to this Water Treatment Residual Wastes Application form, the applicable attachments below must be completed based on the type(s) of water treatment at your facility. For example, residual wastewater disposal from water supply treatment with both a carbon filter and a lime softening system would need both the Media Filter and Water Softening Attachments.