The State of Minnesota strives to be a leader in sustainable purchasing and collaborates with national and international partners on our program. Be part of a movement! Through collaboration we can help Minnesota set the standard as an industry leader in sustainable purchasing to transform the way the State of Minnesota confronts its most difficult sustainability challenges.
At the State of Minnesota, we have a number of programs and groups working together move the needle on sustainable purchasing.
- Office of Enterprise Sustainability: Supports state agencies by helping to ensure state government operations save money by implementing socially and environmentally responsible solutions. OES focuses on six key areas, including procurement.
- Office of Equity in Procurement: Promotes opportunities to do business with the state, and provide assistance to small businesses owned by women, minorities, people with substantial physical disabilities, and veterans as they seek state contracts.
- GreenStep Cities: A voluntary challenge, assistance and recognition program to help cities achieve their sustainability and quality-of-life goals.
- GREEN Group: MPCA Coordinated informal network of environmental and purchasing staff from county and city governments. The GREEN Group is open to representatives of public entities from around the state. At biannual meetings, members discuss timely sustainable purchasing topics, share sustainable purchasing experiences, and work on group projects to help meet their organization’s sustainability goals. Questions: Contact Melissa Peck at 651-757-2343 or email@example.com
Looking for program inspiration? Check out these national programs!
- Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council: A non-profit organizations bringing together buyers, suppliers, and public interest advocates to standardize sustainable purchasing efforts.
- Responsible Purchasing Network: An international network of buyers dedicated to socially responsible and environmentally sustainable purchasing.
- Sustainable Marketplace: EPA resources for greener products and services.
- Massachusetts Environmentally Preferable Products: Offers best practices for purchasers and vendors using statewide contracts.
- King County (Washington) Environmental Purchasing: Provides information and assistance for county staff to identify, evaluate, and purchase economical and effective environmentally preferable products and services.
- City of Portland (Oregon) Sustainable Procurement: Resources for identifying and specifying safer products and services.
- City of San Francisco: Portal to explore more sustainable products and services that are “SF approved”.
- West Coast Climate Forum: Toolkit to lower the greenhouse gas emissions from your purchases.
Are you looking for more detailed product-specific information? Developing your own contract and in need of some sample specifications? Check out our State contracts page for information on existing contracts designed with sustainability in mind and examples of specifications.