The Sustainable Building Group (SBG), a stakeholder workgroup formed for 12 months in 2019 and 2020, provided guidance and recommendations on changing the traditional construction and demolition waste system. The group focused on upstream initiatives such as preventing, reducing, reusing, and recycling waste.
The workgroup recommended several initiatives to MPCA staff and management:
- Establish a statewide, state-funded deconstruction training program
- Create incentives for reuse/preservation of energy-efficient buildings
- Create a deconstruction ordinance template that cities can adopt
- Create, implement, and enforce diversion requirement for C&D waste
- Create an incentive to encourage reused, more repairable, and/or reusable materials in new construction and building renovations
Information and updates
- Sustainable Building Group September meeting notes available
- Coming soon: MPCA Environmental Assistance Grants
- More funding opportunities
- Build Reuse National Conference: The BIGGEST "built environment" conference in North America!
- Sustainable Building Material Management and C&D Waste in the News