The PFAS Monitoring Plan lays out a path forward for PFAS monitoring at solid waste, wastewater, and stormwater facilities, hazardous waste landfills, facilities with air emissions, and sites in the Brownfield or Superfund programs. The plan does not establish facility-specific requirements, but outlines how the MPCA plans to prioritize locations for PFAS monitoring and what the monitoring will entail.
- PFAS Monitoring Plan (p-gen1-22b)
- Facilities included in the PFAS Monitoring Plan (p-gen1-22c)
- Frequently asked questions on the PFAS Monitoring Plan (p-gen1-22f)
- Summary of changes in the PFAS Monitoring Plan (p-gen1-22d)
- Public feedback on the draft PFAS Monitoring Plan (p-gen1-22e)
The MPCA began working with stakeholders in June 2021 to build a PFAS monitoring plan. This plan encompasses a number of projects identified as near-term priorities in Minnesota’s PFAS Blueprint.
Aligning with the PFAS Blueprint
The goals of the PFAS Monitoring Plan align with the management strategy outlined in Minnesota’s PFAS Blueprint:
- Prevent. Identify opportunities for PFAS mitigation by discovering the most significant sources of PFAS releases directly to the environment or to waste facilities that serve as conduits of PFAS to the environment. This information can help facilities switch to PFAS-free products, enact PFAS management plans, or install up-stream PFAS treatment and destruction systems.
- Manage. Gather data needed to holistically develop PFAS minimization strategies to meaningfully reduce PFAS releases to the environment without waste management facilities needing to invest in costly treatment systems unless necessary.
- Clean up. Discover PFAS impacted areas to target risk reduction efforts, such as ensuring rapid investigation of potentially impacted drinking water systems or commonly used fisheries.
Monitoring plan development process and timeline
- Summer 2021: Plan development, kick-off event and input meetings
- Nov. 16, 2021: Draft plan released
- Jan. 21, 2022: Public input period ended
- March 2022: Final plan released
- 2022 – 2024: Implementation
Email Sophie Greene with questions about these events: Sophie.Greene@state.mn.us