In Minnesota, commercial entities that produce any amount of hazardous waste are regulated as hazardous-waste "generators." Treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste is regulated under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and Minnesota Hazardous Waste Rules.
The MPCA regulates and provides assistance to generators in Greater Minnesota. In the Twin City Metropolitan area, county hazardous waste programs regulate and provide assistance to generators.
The MPCA and metropolitan county hazardous waste programs help achieve proper hazardous waste management through:
- Licensing, education and outreach activities
- Work with industry associations, waste consultants and other government agencies
- Provide technical assistance and training
- Implementing rules
Information and assistance
For more information about waste management, see the MPCA's hazardous waste publications, or contact your metropolitan county hazardous waste office or the MPCA office closest to your county.
For information about reducing the amount of waste you generate, call the Minnesota Technical Assistance Program (MnTAP) at 612-624-1300 or 800-247-0015.
Metro County Hazardous Waste Offices
- Anoka County 763-422-7093
- Carver County 952-361-1800
- Dakota County 952-891-7557
- Hennepin County 612-348-3777
- Ramsey County 651-266-1199
- Scott County 952-496-8177
- Washington County 651-430-6655
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- Toll free 800-657-3864
- Brainerd 218-828-2492
- Detroit Lakes 218-847-1519
- Duluth 218-723-4660
- Mankato 507-389-5977
- Marshall 507-537-7146
- Rochester 507-285-7343
- St. Paul 651-296-6300