Skip to main content

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) continue to sample private residential wells, municipal wells, and non-community public wells (e.g., small businesses, churches, schools) in the east metro area for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). Areas where sampling has taken place:

  • Afton
  • Cottage Grove
  • Denmark Township
  • Grey Cloud Island Township
  • Lake Elmo
  • Lakeland
  • Lakeland Shores
  • Maplewood
  • Newport
  • Oakdale
  • St. Paul Park
  • West Lakeland Township
  • Woodbury

Use our interactive map to see where the MPCA and MDH have sampled private wells.

Wells tested and identified with a green symbol showed no or low levels of PFAS. Wells tested and marked with a blue symbol are those wells that have received a health advisory from MDH.

Sampling of eligible private wells is performed at no cost to the homeowners under the Settlement (see: 10.1.2 of the Conceptual Drinking Water Supply Plan). For private wells that are eligible for treatment, the MPCA will continue to manage the installation and maintenance of point-of-entry treatment systems (POETS) using contractors.

If your property is within one of the affected communities listed above, and you have a private drinking water well, you can request to have your water tested using our online form.

How the state decides where to monitor

Private wells are selected for sampling and monitoring mainly based on the following criteria:

  • How close they are to known PFAS sources
  • Understanding of the geology and how groundwater is moving
  • Previous sampling results

Well sampling is the most intensive — meaning all or most of the wells in that area are sampled most frequently — in areas where:

What if my property is outside the affected east metro communities?

If your property is outside the affected east metro communities, you can contact a private lab and pay to have your water tested. Please note that MPCA and MDH will be glad to help you interpret your results, but no decisions regarding drinking water advisories or a provision of alternate drinking water (such as bottled water, treatment, or connection to city water) will be based on privately collected water samples.

If your sample indicates levels of PFAS that could be of possible health concern, the state will re-sample your water to confirm the results before taking any actions.

To locate a laboratory that accepts samples to test for PFAS from individual homeowners, you can use the MDH’s accredited laboratory search feature and follow these steps:

  1. Select the “Customized Searches” tab.
  2. Use the drop-down menu for “Analyte” [in the section labeled “All Other Programs and Test Parameters”] and select “Perfluorobutyric acid (pfba)”
  3. Click the box next to “Accepts samples from private home owners.”
  4. Click the “Search” button; results will be displayed in the table at the bottom of the page.

You will need to contact the laboratory directly to get information on prices and the list of PFAS they test for. Be sure the lab you select tests for the following seven PFAS typically found in the east metro area. Note that depending on the lab, these chemicals may be referred to by any of the names listed below:

  • PFBA — perfluorobutyric acid, perfluorobutanoic acid, perfluorobutanoate, or perfluorobutyrate
  • PFBS — perfluorobutane sulfonate or perfluorobutane sulfonic acid
  • PFPeA — perfluoropentanoic acid or perfluoropentanoate
  • PFHxA — perfluorohexanoic acid or perfluorohexanoate
  • PFHxS — perfluorohexane sulfonate or perfluorohexane sulfonic acid
  • PFOA — perfluorooctanoic acid or perfluorooctanoate
  • PFOS — perfluorooctane sulfonate or perfluorooctane sulfonic acid

Another option is to contact a local environmental consulting firm and have them collect a sample as they may be able to use labs not available to individual homeowners. You will still want to confirm that the list they test for includes the seven PFAS listed above.

If you choose to test your water independently and have questions about the results, you can contact the MDH at for help.

More information

For more information about 3M settlement activities, visit our East Metro | 3M PFAS contamination page or the Minnesota 3M PFAS Settlement site.