Watershed at a Glance
The Redeye River watershed covers 575,366 acres (899 square miles) and is located the northwestern to north-central part of the Upper Mississippi River Basin in central Minnesota. The watershed encompasses all or parts of Becker, Otter Tail, Todd, and Wadena counties. The Redeye River begins at Wolf Lake and travels south where it joins the Leaf River and eventually joins the Crow Wing River north of Staples.
|Hydrologic Unit Code:||07010107|
|Intensive monitoring start year:||2011|
|Major lakes||Major rivers and streams|
Wolf, Gourd, West Leaf, Middle Leaf, East Leaf Lake
Redeye, Leaf, Wing
The Redeye River watershed has approximately 633 total river miles, of which 316 miles of rivers are considered perennial. The major rivers within this watershed include the Red Eye, the Leaf, and the Wing. There are 11 creeks and 7 county ditches, as well as numerous smaller flowages. The watershed contains approximately 126 lakes with a total acreage of 8,228.
The majority of the watershed is within the North Central Hardwood Forest with a small sections in the Northern Lakes and Forests ecoregion. Nearly half the watershed’s land use is agricultural, 30% is forested, 15% is wetlands, and about 4% is developed communities and industries.
What's being done
Biological, chemistry, and flow monitoring occurred in 2011 on several key stream reaches throughout the watershed. Volunteers and local government units, in addition to MPCA staff, conducted monitoring on several key waterbodies throughout the watershed. Eleven impaired stream reaches were identified and no lakes were found to be impaired. The WRAPS report contains strategies to address the impaired reaches and to protect the unimpaired waterbodies throughout the watershed.
A TMDL study was approved in 2017, which addresses the bacteria impairments for eight of the streams identified during the monitoring process.
Citizens interested in getting involved with the project can contact the MPCA project manager.
Monitoring and assessment reports and data
- HSPF Watershed Modeling Report: Crow Wing, Redeye, and Long Prairie River watersheds (wq-ws1-14)
- Summary: Redeye River Watershed monitoring and assessment report
- Redeye River Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Summary: Redeye River stressor identification report
- Redeye River Watershed Stressor Identification Report
- Our Upper Mississippi River Large River and Basin Restoration and Protection Strategies (wq-ws4-38b)
- Summary: Redeye River Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategies (WRAPS) report (wq-ws4-17b)
- Redeye River Watershed WRAPS report (wq-ws4-17a) (MPCA approved 10/26/2016)
- Redeye River Watershed TMDL Study (wq-iw8-48e) (EPA approval 3/14/2017)
- Redeye River Watershed TMDL: EPA approval letter (wq-iw8-48g)