Watershed at a Glance
The Buffalo River flows 88 miles from the pine forests around Tamarac Lake in eastern Becker County to the Red River of the North, across the former beach ridges and the lake plain of the Glacial Lake Agassiz land formation. Nearly 1,200 square miles of Clay, Becker, Otter Tail, and Wilkin counties drain to the Buffalo.
|Hydrologic Unit Code:||09020106|
|Intensive monitoring start year:||2009|
|Major lakes||Major rivers and streams|
Tamarac Lake, Buffalo Lake, Big Sugar Bush Lake, Boyer Lake
Mainstem Buffalo, South Branch Buffalo, Hay Creek, Deerhorn Creek, Whiskey Creek, Stony Creek, Lawndale Creek
The watershed is largely agricultural (row crops and pasture), accounting for more than 70% of the overall watershed acres. Development pressure is moderate to considerable in some areas.
Intensive monitoring shows that E. coli and turbidity are the most prevalent factors for rivers and streams. Shallow lakes in the watershed have issues with water clarity, chlorophyll, and nutrients leading to eutrophication.
What's being done
A Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report, Stressor Identification Report and WRAPS Report (with TMDL) have been completed and are available below. Implementation of strategies identified in the WRAPS report are proceeding based on available funding.
Monitoring and assessment reports and data
- Buffalo River Watershed Monitoring and Assessment Report
- Assessment Report of Selected Lakes within the Buffalo River Watershed Red River of the North Basin
- Buffalo River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report
- Buffalo River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report - Supplemental Data
- Buffalo River Watershed Biotic Stressor Identification Report - Supplemental Data spreadsheet
- Buffalo River Watershed SWAT Modeling
- Buffalo River Watershed Lake Classification Report
- Buffalo River Watershed Lake Conditions Report
- Buffalo River Watershed Lake Conditions Report Addendum
- Buffalo River Watershed HSPF Modeling Report
- Buffalo River Watershed Load Duration Memo
- Buffalo River Watershed Lake Water and Nutrient Budgets Report
- Buffalo River Watershed Lake Eutrophication Modeling
- Buffalo River Watershed: Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategy Report (MPCA approval 8/9/2016)
- Buffalo River Watershed: TMDL (wq-iw5-06e)
- Buffalo River Watershed: EPA approval letter (wq-iw5-06g)
Buffalo Red River Watershed District
1303 4th Ave NE
PO Box 341
Barnesville MN 56514