This project addresses one impairment for turbidity on a segment of the Poplar River, ending at Lake Superior. The TMDL and implementation plan are completed.
For more than a decade, local and state partners have been tackling stormwater and erosion problems on the Poplar River and won: The river is now meeting water quality standards for sediment.
Map and location
The Poplar River is located within the Lake Superior - North Watershed.
TMDL report and implementation plan
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL: Final TMDL Report
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL: EPA Approval Letter (December 11, 2013)
- Poplar River TMDL: TMDL Implementation Plan (February 6, 2014)
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL Comments on Public Notice
- Poplar River Turbidity TMDL Response to Comments
Reports to support the completion of the TMDL study:
- Poplar River Turbidity Assessment
- Poplar River Macroinvertebrate and Habitat Survey
- Poplar River Sediment Source Assessment March 2010
- Lower Poplar River Watershed Sediment Source Assessment 2013
Additional publications related to this project may be available on the Cook County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) and Lake Superior Streams project Web sites.
- Cook County Solid and Water Conservation District
- Lake Superior Streams
- Lake Superior Basin
- Minnesota Basins
Karen Evens, Project Manager
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
525 Lake Avenue South Ste 400
Duluth, MN 55802