The Ann River Watershed is located in the counties of Kanabec and Mille Lacs, and within the St. Croix Basin. The watershed consists of two lakes (Ann Lake and Fish Lake) impaired for excess nutrients and the Ann River, between both lakes, is impaired for fish and macro-invertebrates. These fish and macro-invertebrate impairments were identified in 2006 by the MPCA while assessing the biological integrity of the streams within the Snake River Watershed.
As part of this study, stream and lake monitoring has been ongoing since 2007. In 2009, the MPCA conducted a review of the data collected; and based on this review the Ann River will be put on the 2010 impaired waters list for E. coli.
This TMDL is a joint effort between the Kanabec SWCD, Mille Lacs SWCD, Snake River Watershed Management Board, local Lake Associations, and the MPCA.
Map and Location
The Ann River Watershed is located West of Mora, MN; in the counties of Kanabec and Mille Lacs.
TMDL Report and Implementation Plan
- Ann River Watershed Bacteria, Nutrient and Biota TMDL: Final Draft TMDL
- Ann River Watershed TMDL: EPA Approval Letter
- Ann River TMDL: TMDL Implementation Plan (July 15, 2013)
Meetings and Events
See the TMDL Meetings, Events and News page for notices of general interest and event-related information on impaired waters/TMDLs.
- April 21, 2009 Stakeholder meeting and monitoring update (Presentation)
- St. Croix River Basin
- Kanabec SWCD
- Mille Lacs SWCD
- Snake River Watershed Management Board
- MN Department of Natural Resources
- MPCA Environmental Data Access (Lake and Stream Data)
- Biological Monitoring (MPCA)
Rachel Olmanson, Project Manager
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
520 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155