Interested in spending the summer outside exploring Minnesota’s water resources? Each summer we hire seasonal positions to assist with biological monitoring of streams and wetlands.
The biological monitoring program is no longer accepting applications for seasonal positions for summer 2018. Job postings for summer 2019 seasonal positions will be available in mid December 2018. To apply for other open positions within the MPCA or other state entities visit the State of Minnesota job page: https://mn.gov/mmb/careers/search-for-jobs/.
What is required to be eligible for a summer internship position?
- Enrolled or recent graduate from an accredited college or university
- Coursework in the biology, environmental sciences or natural resources
- The ability to travel for up to three nights per week throughout the summer
- Capable of moderate physical exertion in summer heat and carrying up to 50 lbs. of sampling equipment
- Maintain a positive attitude within a team setting
Some of the methods you will be exposed to include:
- Fish collection using electro-fishing equipment
- Fish identification
- Macroinvertebrate collection
- Plant surveys
- Basic water-chemistry sampling techniques
- Flow measurement
- Physical habitat assessment
- GPS navigation