Interested in spending the summer outside exploring Minnesota’s water resources? Each summer, the MPCA conducts water quality surveys and biological assessments in streams and wetlands around the state. We hire seasonal positions to assist with this work, which are posted on the State of Minnesota jobs web site starting in mid-December. To apply, follow the instructions in the job posting.
- Enrolled or recent graduate from an accredited college or university
- Coursework in biology, environmental sciences, or natural resources
- Ability to travel up to three nights a week through the summer
- Capable of moderate physical exertion in summer heat and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Can maintain a positive attitude in a team setting
Our summer interns get a solid foundation in monitoring and assessment techniques being used around the country, including:
- Fish collection using electro-fishing equipment
- Fish identification
- Macroinvertebrate collection
- Plant surveys
- Basic water-chemistry sampling techniques
- Flow measurement
- Physical habitat assessment
- GPS navigation